Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 410 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Aug 3, 2001.

1. My current rig is a Peavey T-Max 1-15 combo paired with their older model 410 cab. My problem is that the 410 sounds like their is sand rattling around inside when I play. This problem is amplified when I play the cab soloed. The best adjective I can use to describe it is "grainy." This has been a problem ever since I purchased it. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    I'm assuming the 410 is a 410 TX. Are you able to use another head to trouble shoot? If it still has the same problem I would suggest this. Try turning the L-Pad (tweeter control) completely off. Your tweeter may be blown or the crossover could be faulty. If you still have the same problem, check all of your speaker connections, or you may have a blown speaker. I had a 410 tx and traded it in for a 210 txf. I haven't had any problems with this cab.

3. might be a loose voice coil on one of the speakers.

First thing I'd do is get a speaker cable and test the impedance of the cab with a multimeter. That'll confirm whether you have any loose wiring - the cab should have an impedance of 8 Ohms.

Next, unscrew the jack/tweeter attenuator cover from the back tip the cab onto it's back and make sure there's no loose glue or wood inside.

Next, you'll need to place the cab on its back and unscrew each speaker, one at a time, unplug the connectors (I don't believe they're soldered on Peavey speakers) and give each speaker a gentle shake. Screw each one back as soon as you've finished with it. My guess is that one of the speakers will be rattling, hence there's a loose part inside.

If your cab is out of warranty, don't despair - Peavey 410s use Scorprion 10" speakers, which are relativelt inexpensive and can be sourced from any Peavey dealer.

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I have 2 Peavey 410 cabs w/o tweeters that are about 10 yrs old and they both started buzzing and sounding funny. Turns out there is a brace that runs dead center in the front to dead center in the back. Something like a 1"x1". Mine were loose and causing the noise. A couple of black wood screws did the trick and they're not even noticable. Tightened up the sound as well!:D