Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 410 tvx - I need wheels!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cannibal, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks to the guys that recommended the 4x10... it's just very very heavy, I was thinking about getting a partial flight case made but that option is quite expensive, my other idea was one of these small trolleys you can get for moving washing machines and fridges, only problem is the ground clearance is very low and they don't turn. Anyone have any good ideas? Drilling holes is not an option, nor is buying an wheel barrow, this has all got to go into a Peugeot 206 :meh:

Thanks

Joel.

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    You couldn't use the pop-out casters?

3. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    Excuse my ignorance... pop out casters? It just has rubber feet currently.

Joel.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Ernie Ball sells a set of pop-out castors for just under $30. You just need to find a music store that sells them. You'll have to drill 4 one inch diameter holes in your cabinet for the cups, though.

5. Pop-out casters are two-pieces. There's a "socket" that installs on your cabinets by drilling a fairly large hole (5/8" or about 1.5 cm) then fastening the 'socket' with short wood screws. The wheel has a post that fits into the socket with a 'pop'. These are good particularly when you want to stack cabinets. You can leave the rubber feet on your cabs, pop out the wheels and stack one on the other or to put the cabs directly on the floor. Another advantage to pop-outs is that you can remove the two back ones and the cab will be tilted up toward you. Great for monitoring.

The best pop-outs I've found are Carvin. They're 2.5" wheels, solid bearings and really solid. They're not on their online catalogue (from the last time I checked), but if you call, you should be able to get them. I think I got a set of 4 for about $22...but I live about 15 minutes from the headquarters.

The main advantage to pop-outs is the installation is so much easier. With traditional casters, you need to remove speakers, baffling, etc to get to the inside of the cab to install the nuts and washers (4 per wheel). With pop-outs, you do all the install from the outside of the cab.

6. Why? There's already 4-7 really huge holes in your cab for the speakers, tweeter, ports, handles, jackplate and such. What's a few extra? It's not like the holes will remain an empty void.

I installed my pop-outs on Acme Low B-4 cabinets which are made of thinner ply than yours and are internally stress-braced for strength. The walls of the cabs bowed out with the pressure. I asked the cab builder and he had no problems with me installing casters.

The other 2 options open to you are to get a folding hand-truck...musicians friend sells them, or building your own caster board out of 2x4's and wheels that turn. I did that with an old trace elliot cab I used to have.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I picked up a little 24' x 30" cart for $29+tax at my local Pep Boys Auto store. It has 4 rubber wheels, a rubber covered platform and a 22" high folding handle, supports up to 300lbs. It is aluminum and carries my SWR 15 cab with amp and bags stacked up pretty well. The front wheels turn 360's for easy manuvering. I have popped off the casters of my SWR 4x10 and used the cart to move both cabs around on stage. Makes for a portable rig on stage. But for your single cab I believe, as suggested above, that the pop out casters are your better option.

8. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't make myself clear at the start but apparently now it isn't an issue. Peavey told me initially if I made any modification to the cabinet, my warranty would be made void. I then challenged this and they told me today that now it won't void my warranty so I can drill holes in it if I need to.

The pop-out casters seem the best option... this thing is just so damn heavy! It's 45kg!! The heaviest cab i've ever picked up. Great sound, but I don't want to pull my arms out of their sockets each time I move it.

Thanks all,
    Joel.