1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey 410 TX wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martinpopelka, Mar 24, 2013.

1. martinpopelka

martinpopelka

Nov 23, 2012
    Hi,
    I own a Peavey 410 TX bass cab, which is an 8 ohm, and I want to know if it could be re-wired to make it a 4 ohm, since my head amp is the Peavey Mark VI (250w into 4 ohm, 400w into 2 ohm).

Does anybody knows how to do it?
    I sent an email to peavey customer service but I haven't got any answer.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, it cannot be done, short of replacing all 4 spkrs. But the good news is, it's not necessary to "get all the watts" from your amp. Adding a 2nd identical 8 ohm cab will give you much more volume, but just putting more watts into the same cab will not.

3. Yep.............cannot be done

And more good news - the difference in volume from 8 ohms to a 4 ohm version is almost undetectable.

4. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    The thing to do would be to add another. With the extra transformer and stuff inside the cabinet, I suggest get another that matches it.

If you use it as an extension to an 8 ohm combo, it will likely seem less volume than the combo. I ran one as an extension to an SWR Workingman's 15, and that was what I experienced.

My guess is that the speakers can be driven to distortion at 8 ohms with your amp turned way up, anyhow. I had a 410 TX once myself. Not a bad sounding cabinet. I usually ran mine with the tweeter turned down.

5. martinpopelka

martinpopelka

Nov 23, 2012
    Actually, one of the speakers is down, so there are only two speakers making sound, which makes a total load of 16 ohm, and it gets distorted when I turn the volume up (like 4-5 pre gain and 7-8 master), and the actual volume is not that loud. I ordered the replacement speaker allready (eminence delta 10a) and I hope it wont get so distorted. Anyway, the thing is that I'm broke right now, so I can't buy another cab.
    But if is true that the difference in volume between 8 and 4 ohms is undetectable, then I think it will be fine when I install the replacement speaker.

Thanks for all the help

6. TVinLA

TVinLA

Mar 24, 2013
    Until you get the replacement speaker, you could connect two of the speakers that are working (which I assume are 8 ohms each) in parallel (+ to +, - to -). That will give you 4 ohms. You could also connect all three of the speakers that are working in parallel which would give you 2.66 ohms. Some amplifiers would be unhappy with that low an impedance, but your Peavey Mark VI is rated to go as low as 2 ohms, so no problem. When you get the replacement speaker, you could wire all four speakers in parallel (again, + to +, - to -) and that would give you 2 ohms, which would be fine with the Peavey Mark VI (with DDT compression enabled, per the Peavey operating guide which is available at http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300912.pdf). This would give you 400 watts.

I used to use a Peavey 410 TX and blew a speaker one night at a gig. The factory authorized repair shop in Hollywood that I took it to (wish I could remember their name) miswired the cabinet when they "repaired" it. They had three of the speakers in parallel and the fourth speaker in series with the other three (geniuses). That resulted in an impedance of 10.66 ohms which isn't so bad, but this resulted in that fourth speaker getting 75% of the power (rather than the 25% it was supposed to get). Needless to say, it wasn't very long before that speaker was toast (at a gig, of course).

7. martinpopelka

martinpopelka

Nov 23, 2012
    Ok, so if I wire 2 speakers in parallel now, do I get more volume? less distortion?, and wouldn't wiring all 4 speakers in parallel could damage them, since they will get 400w instead of the 350 they are capable of?

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

PS: TVinLA, did you repair the cab after all? if not, I have the impression I bought your ex-cab, when it arrived, it was wired the way you say, and the upper right speaker is the one is toasted... It would be an amazing coincidence...

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You will NOT get more volume with LESS speakers. Just fis the cab you have, make sure it's wired correctly, and enjoy it.

9. martinpopelka

martinpopelka

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, I know that with less speakers I can not get more volume, but my question is, can I actually wire the 3 good speakers in parallel (until I get the replacement) without dammaging them by putting 400w on them, instead of the 350 they are designed to receive?

If so, how do I wire them?

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    410TX can handle 400w easy. I used to put 850w into mine (before I downsized my rig, now I'm only using 350w).

Damaging speakers isn't primarily about the wattage, it has more to do with the frequency and quality of sound. A low-wattage amp that's clipping into square waves is worse for the speakers than a clean high-wattage amp.

11. Do NOT do it

Without ALL the speakers working, you are also throwing off the tuning of the cab, and can damage your remaining speakers.

Absolutely false - there is no such thing as underpowering, and square waves do not harm woofers.

12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the correction, Bass Pounder. My own experience supports that: I have blown tweeters on cabs, but never woofers.

The 410tx has a tweeter.

13. martinpopelka

martinpopelka

Nov 23, 2012

Could you elaborate please?

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The cab is designed to work with 4 spkrs, wired as it was from the factory. The cab is "tuned", to resonate at certain frequency points. Playing it with less than the original 4 spkrs throws that tuning off, and can result in damage to the remaining spkrs. Fix the cab before you destroy it.