Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 410TVX or Avatar B410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toetsi, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Peavey 410 TVX

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Avatar B410

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. hi folks!
    i'd like to buy a new cabinet, because my selfmade 18" doesn't really sound as i want it to...
    so, actually, i wanted to buy the peavey 410 tvx, but now i've noticed a brand called avatar. they seem to make pretty good stuff...
    so which one would you choose? i do punkrock, so i need a punchy one ;)

and i've got still another little question:
    i have to sell a head, a laney pro bass. it has 150 watts on 4 ohms. how much would you pay for this one? i attached a picture...

thanks for everything and stay tuned for more rock'n'roll
    greets
    toetsi

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I don't think Avatar ships internationally...that alone may make it more than buying the Peavey. They sound good though.

you might check:
    www.avatarspeakers.com

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't know about that exact Peavey cab, but there's a Peavey 4x10 + tweeter cab at my rehearsal space that I use, of fairly recent vintage, and I recently picked up an Avatar b410.

I'd take the Avatar any day of the week. The Peavey has more bass, but it's a lifeless, dull thud of a sound compared to the punchy Avatar. You said you wanted punch, right?

Avatar has nice punch and definition - exceptional for the price. Lacks a little on the low end, but low end is worthless to me without the punch and definition to accompany it. I think it would probably be great for a punk sound.

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Nice head man, I almost bought one till I decided to go with the Tech21 RBI... Real killer tone...

Alex

ps. Peavey....

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I own the earlier 410TX Peaveys and like them. That said, I think they would not be what you are looking for. They tend to have a 'scooped' midrange-like the gent above said, kinda dull. I can EQ around it without problem and I really dig the cab's low end (prodigious). Not what I associate with 'in-your-face' punk. The Avatars are a bargain here in the States and the owner is great. All signs (driver compliment and owner reports) point to a punchy sound that cuts through well. Of course, with the Euro kickin' the dollars' butt...

Kim

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you can swing it, I would get the Avatar B115 and B210.

Should give you good low end and good punch (also more portable).