Peavey 410TX vs Hartke 4.5XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    There are two auctions. I can get the peavey for ~$250 or the hartke for ~$400. they both look like they are in equally good condition. also the guy that has the peavey put casters on it. which do you think is a better deal? is the hartke worth the extra expense or are they about the same quality? as a side note i will be trying to win an auction for a hartke 5000 header amp in either case.
  2. ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    I'd pass on the Peavey unless it's a 410-TXF, not a 410-TX. I purchased a 410-TX because of it's attractive price and it sounded decent at lower volume. At higher volume, the sound quality really diminshed. The TX series was rear ported and didn't project the sound efficiently. The newer TXF series is front ported and was a vast improvement. It's a decent cab for the monitarliy challenged.
  3. I've owned a 410 TX for four years. In my experience it needs to be driven quite hard. I have not noticed the tone deteriorate at all at higher volumes. It's a bit inefficient and sounds quite "scooped". Used alone I need to push it to its maximum rating (350 Watts RMS) to be heard in a loud blues or rockabilly setting. The rear porting does (IMHO) add to projection problems. If not sited close to a rear wall it loses bottom end. My solution was to get a 1x15 Black Widow in addition and use them both. I now get a vastly improved sound than by using either cab alone.

Also be sure to keep the horn attenuator at around half way. Any higher and you risk blowing it, when slapping etc.

Hope this helps.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Did you mean to compare the 410TXF to the 410TVX? I've never heard of a 410TX.

I'd say the Peavey over the Hartke.

That's why I made that choice for my own. I think Hartke's are too bright.

There's a 210TX which is a combo? I don't know.... If there is a such thing as a 410TX, I'd like to see one...
  5. In recent years Peavey have made three models of 4x10 cabs. In order of release (oldest first) they are

410 TX - rear ported
    410 TXF - Front ported
    410 TVX - Front ported