Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 410TXF or Carvin RL410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Oct 13, 2000.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    which cab would be better to get?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There are some differences in frequency response and power handling (and I'm sure sound, too) between these two cabs.

What type of bass(es) and amp(s) do you intend to use? (No info in your profile)

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well i have a carvin 5 string, i plan to buy a carvin r600.

some other stuff i plan to use this for are, an octaved 8 stringer, and a spector rex5 string.

4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    get the carvin cab.. peaveys dont project the sound very well

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The Peavey 410TFX is a excellent cabinet for the money. Peavey discontinued the 410TFX approximately 3 months ago. If you decided too buy one you'd have to find one that's NOS. It's been replaced with the improved 410TVX cabinet. It has a new look and improved handling qualities.
    I can not comment on the Carvin as they are not to be found in the city that I live in, so i've never played through one.
    Cheers

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    As far as my experience with Peavey cabinets goes, I could have been a lot happier with them. I used to have a 410TX cab, and it just gave me a lot of bass and a bit of punch. Not an ounce of my bass's character shined through. I doubt I'll ever give Peavey cabs a chance again.
    Or, as i want a bass said: they don't project the sound very well.

7. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    now im thinking about just getting the carvin R6815 cyclopes bi-amped combo.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've A/B'd these cabs in a relatively "controlled" enviroment. If you're going to be using a 5 string with a low B, don't waste a penny on the Carvin, it's got NO bottom next to the Peavey. The specs tell the tale: the Carvin starts to "rolloff" at about 60hz, whereas the Peavey stays relatively flat (+/- 3dB) @ 30hz. The Peavey, contrary to the comments of some others is a very solid sounding cabinet, IMO the equal of an Eden D410XLT and superior to the SWR Goliath II (I HATED the nasally midrange "honk" on the SWR). As far as "they don't project the sound very well", bunkum...maybe it's your bass that's the problem? Or did you try re-eqing the amp?

What I heard from the negative posts was a continuation of the unfounded negativity towards all things Peavey. When I started out back in the 70's Peavey made some pretty horrendous stuff, but "this ain't your daddy's Peavey" anymore.

I've got an older 410tx (which is in very good condition structurally and mechanically, but a bit chewed up cosmetically...and possibly for sale soon, if anyone's interested...) still and played through it the other day, it still sounds great, the newer cabs (txf and tvx) are even better. I've been using a pair of 210txf's as my main gig cabs for two years now, and had nothing but compliments on the tone.

Another concern to be aware of is product support issues. If you get a Carvin product and you have a problem, guess where you gotta send it? Back to Carvin. If you have a problem with Peavey (and I haven't had the first problem in 6+ years with my rig, it's bullet-proof in addition to sounding great), there are factory-authorized repair/warranty centers EVERYWHERE.

All that said, I am considering another amp purchase....but I'll take that to another thread :D.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I ran direct from my Trace head when recording in the studio. Sounded great - crunchy, tight and electric. Playing live with the Peavey 410TX didn't sound like the studio recording at all. Not the least. The cab couldn't do the amp justice, and the amp sounded great when recording with it, so it has to be the cab... right?
    Nowadays I play through an EBS Taurus combo, and I have kept the EQ setting the same for a long time. No need to change it when it sounds great already. With my previous Trace/Peavey rig, I could change the EQ dozens of times during a rehersal, because it never sounded great!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, we had very different experiences. What else can ya say? One man's meat is another's poison....

....I still stand by my opinion: Dollar (or insert currency of choice) for dollar, the best buy in a cabinet is the Peavey stuff. And as the original question was Carvin vs. Peavey, I think I've still got a pretty valid opinion....you didn't like the Peavey with your Trace head, you would have positively LOATHED the Carvin, IMO.

11. I've got to agree with Gard-

I went the Carvin route once. Key word- once. I ended spending a bundle shipping the junk back to them.

I have since gone back to old faithful, Peavey. I run a 410TXF and a 412TVK and am thrilled. Peavey makes a solid product. The sound is great- the product is extremely durable- and the price is right.

Check my profile to see the entire setup.

Although I like their basses, when it comes to amps and cabs, I can't promote Carvin.

CL

12. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    What is the street price of the Peavey 410 cab? I'm looking for a new or additional cab for the rig at my church where we have a Peavey 115 with a Scorpion in it. It sounds great especially considering it cost only about $200 new.

Chuck

13. Chuck-
    I can't remember exactly what I paid for my Peavey 410, but I believe it was around $350. Its a great cab.

If the woofer in your 15" cab ever goes, I'd replace it with a Black Widow... if your happy with the Scorpion, you'll be floored with the widow.

CL

14. Count me in as a Peavey fan. I use a 210TXF cab along with a 115BX and get killer tone. As Gard says:

>...Dollar (or insert currency of choice) for dollar, the best buy in a cabinet is the Peavey stuff

I fully agree with this. There customer service people are also great.

John

15. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    A 410 list for $599. This cabinet has 4 Sheffield speakers with a large dustcap which allows the cab to move lots of air. The only thing better is an 810. Again, Peavey has raised the bar on their products.

CHANCE

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll second the Black Widow recommendation.

I don't care for the Scorpion Plus, if you like it, like CL said, if it ever dies, put in BW. They are one of the best 15's out there for the money, comparable to Electro Voice.

17. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    It should be noted that Peavey replaced the TX line with the improved TXF series. As was mentioned, this was replaced by the newest line - the TVX (mostly cosmetic differences this time, I think). So make sure you are aware of which one you're trying out.

The Carvin's specs suggest to me that it is best used with a sub cabinet, even though their catalog states that it is suitable as a "stand-alone cabinet".