Peavey 412 TVX review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John M. Cote, Mar 11, 2001.

1. I got a brand new Peavey 412 TVX cabinet last week and thought I'd post my review here.

It's a really neat (but heavy) cabinet. For the record, I am not affiliated to Peavey - I just own quite a bit of their gear and like it very much (as some on this board may know :) )

Here we go:

Peavey launched its TVX series of speaker cabinets last year. The TVX series is very similar to the now-defunct TXF line with the only visible exception of Tolex, rather that carpet, covering.

I took delivery of a brand new 412 TVX cabinet in its box, directly from my dealer. I already own a Peavey 115 BX cabinet and a Peavey 210TXF.

The reason I bought the 412 is to have one cabinet that can handle a large amount of power. I will hold on to the other cabs and use them for smaller gigs, where they are just great.

Technical Specifications

Type: Ported 4x12 + tweeter cabinet
    Made in USA
    List Price: $749
    Warranty: 3 years + 2 additional years upon registering the product within 90 days of purchase
    Frequency response: 30Hz-15kHz
    Box tuning frequency: 50Hz
    Power handling: 600 w continuous (1200 w program)
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Sensitivity: 100 dB SPL (1 watt, 1 meter)
    Dimensions: 38” H x 28.5” W x 19.25” D
    Weight : 127 lbs.

The 412 is shipped in a sturdy box and sits well in the enclosure. Corners are braced / supported with dual corrugated cardboard protectors. My only recommendation would be to wrap the unit in plastic film before putting it in the box.

The 412TVX has four 12" Kevlar-impregnated Sheffield bass speakers and a 1" phenolic dome horn tweeter. A protected circuit is incorporated in the crossover to protect the tweeter – when engaged, the protection circuit shuts off the horn until signal levels are reduced. One ¼” jack provides the connection. The cabinet comes in 4 ohm impedance only.

The cabinet is front-ported and constructed with ¾” plywood. I removed the crossover panel at the rear of the cabinet and saw that the cabinet seems to be very well braced internally. The cabinet is covered with black Tolex and has black metal corners (the unit on the website has silver metal corners). A sturdy expanded metal grill protects the speakers. A clever feature is that Peavey braces the metal grill with a rubber cabinet support located just under the horn. This adds a tremendous amount of rigidity to the grill.

Tolex is nice, but it will be more delicate than the carpet covering on my other Peavey enclosures - a cabinet cover for transportation will definitely on the "to buy" list. Unfortunately, Peavey does not offer enclosure covers.

At 127 lbs, the unit is certainly not “portable” in the true sense of the word! However, Peavey ships the unit with pop out casters and the sturdy recessed handles are ideally located for the best balance. Two people as well as a station wagon / jeep / van type of vehicle are required to transport the cabinet. The casters allow easy manipulation by one person over level floors. So, for a cabinet of its size and weight, it’s reasonably transportable.

The sound of the 412 TVX is very impressive. I use a Peavey Max pre-amp and Mackie 1400i power amp with active and passive 4 string fretted (Fender Ps) and fretless (Fender A/E P and Rob Allen MB2) basses. Both in dual channel mono (500 w) and bridged mode (1400 w), the cabinet produces excellent tonal response from thundering lows to well defined and crisp highs.

For those who enjoy brighter tones, the horn tweeter is very responsive and can be adjusted to just about any setting one can wish for. As with the other horn-equipped Peavey cabinet that I own, the 210 TXF, I rarely set the crossover higher than 10:00 o’clock. With the horn off, the 12" speakers produce great round tone – so there is something for all tastes here.

The cab moves a lot of air within a wide frequency band. You can definitely crank your amp up and shake the walls !

The 412 TVX lists at $749 and is typically available from dealers for much less. It provides excellent value for the money, as do all Peavey bass amplification products, in my opinion. There are very few 412 cabinets available and this is one that every bassist interested in full and powerful tone (and who anticipates always having help to move the unit !) should investigate. You really don’t need any additional cabinets with the 412 – it can handle just about anything in terms of power and tonal range.

The challenge is finding a dealer who stocks them !

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Very informative, John. Good of you to spend the time writing it for our benefit, too.
  4. Yea, thank you ALOT for the review, we need more like em!
  5. Yawnsie, ThePaste -

Your very welcome.

Oysterman - good idea !

6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    John: Good to see your post. And thanks for the review.

Regarding covers, there are a number of excellent aftermarket cover makers out there. I ordered mine (for my 210 TXF and 115BX BW) from Tuki Covers in North Charleston, South Carolina. Their Web site is at:

The offer a variety of materials at great prices, and I found the workmanship and service to be excellent. The have many cab specs available, and will custom make just about anything you need if they don't have it.

My DuPont Cordura covers (non-lined) ran me about $100, but they make a big difference in protecting the gear and keeping dust and dirt out.
  7. The major peavey dealer in town has a wall of 4x12s stacked 2 high with a 4x10s on top of each of the 4x12s. I was really impressed with the noise I got from two of the 4x12s with a firebass head. Talk about volume! It made the amp room shake. I dont think I will ever buy one, but I think that the value of it is very good. I hope you like it!
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Now, that's a Peavey dealer! :cool:

...How many Cirrus and Millennium basses do they have? ;)

The top row on the left has about 4-5 cirrus basses, and they have only one Millenium. They also have some of the cheaper Peavey basses. That one towards the middle of the wall that looks grey is the Namm Stingray. It sounds so good and is one of the store employees favorite basses. I just like the store a lot. Maybe someday I can get a job there.