1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 4x10 cab problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Aug 2, 2007.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I recently aquired a Peavey 410TX in a trade that has issues.

The two top 10's in the cab bounce and move air when played through. One bottom 10 moves maybe half as much as the top two speakers and the other 10 is motionless.

I could use some advice on how to diagnose the condition of it's speakers and what to "do next".

Thanx :help:

2. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Ok, is there a way to determine if a non-working speaker needs a recone or replacement?

3. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    pop out the speakers and connect a 9 volt battery. if the cone moves freely as you connect and disconnect, the voice coil is probably fine. i there a tweeter in this cab?

4. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin

I'll pop the speakers out and check them with a 9v. Thanks for the advice!

Yes, it has a tweeter.

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If you are going to remove the speakers, make sure you mark the wiring. That cab is wired series-parallel and the wiring can be confusing.

6. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I'll mark the wires after I pull the speakers out, one at a time.
    Don't wish to mess them up.

I called Peavey earlier today and they will sell me correct replacement drivers for $81.99 shipped.

BTW, I do not care about the tweeter, because I always turn them off.

7. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Well, I pulled each speaker out and gave them the 9 volt electrical test. Each one danced happily to the supplied charge which tells me they are ALL fine.

Next question, what else could be the problem? The crossover? I recall the previous owner telling me he had replaced the tweeter.

Still perplexed. :confused:

8. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I have narrowed the issue down to this - The top two drivers are pushing alot of air. The bottom two push very little. The speakers are OK. Perhaps in the past, somebody mixed up the wires causing only two of the speakers to do most of the work resulting in making the cab fart out easily?

I need a wiring diagram for this cab. Anybodys help would be appreciated.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Just take a picture of how it's wired now and post it. I'm sure one of the more knowledgable types will be able to tell you if it's wired incorrectly or not.

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Okay. The 9-volt test might not be good enough.

Wire up one speaker at a time. Run just one pair or wires from the input jack to one speaker at a time, and play a little into them. If they sound clean and natural, they're fine. If they're distorted, they're blown, but still move.

Also, if you're VERY VERY CAREFUL.... set each speaker on a table facing up, and with EXTRA SPECIAL CAUTION.... gently push on the cone. Put your fingers on the seam between the cone and the center dust cap, and move the cone up and down. If the voice coil it blown, you'll feel some grinding friction as the cone moves. Like sand between two sheets of paper. If you feel this friction, the speaker's voice coil is 99% shot and still moving, but is damaged.

Also, if you understand exactly how series-parallel cab wiring goes, recheck every wire to make sure that's what's going on inside.

You'll have two leads coming from the input jack, and two returning to it. Two speakers will be connected to each other, with a pair of wires leading back to the jack. Same for the other pair.

Similar to this diagram, but with bass speakers not HiWatt 12" guitar speakers.

[​IMG]

11. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Wow, lots of info Bryan. Thanks much. I'll do the test's and checks and we'll see what I come up with.

Again, thanks!

12. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin

13. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I just finished rewiring the cab according to Bryan316's direction and it now it works great. All 4 drivers are equally pushing air and the cab is louder and clean.

Anyone know if my cab is still 8 ohms, now that it is rewired in this fashion?

14. If you followed the wiring diagram correctly, AND the speakers are the original (peavey model 121 8 ohm) then it is 8 ohms.

Each set of two speakers are wired parallel giving you two sets of 10's at 4 ohms. Those two sets are then wired in series, giving you 4 speakers at 8 ohm total.

The guy that traded/sold it to you probably screwed it up when fixing the horn.

15. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yes they are the original 8 ohm, Peavey speakers. I rewired the cab exactly as Bryan's diagram showed.

Let's just say I am a happy camper now, thanks to you helpful TB'ers.

16. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yea, that is probably what happened and perhaps why I got a pretty good deal on it with the trade. Yes they are the original 8 ohm, Peavey speakers. I rewired the cab exactly as Bryan's diagram showed.

17. Sounds like everything is fine then.

If you really want to be sure, plug in a speaker cable to the cabinet and on the unused end, take a multimeter and touch the probes to the tip and the sleeve.

Should measure out to somewhere in the 6.X to 7.X ohms.

18. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin

I'll try that tomorrow, Bass Pounder. You guy's are awesome with all your help. tHANX1

19. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    This is an awesome thread with good information in it.