Peavey 5 string BXP Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fiver, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Fiver

Fiver

Jul 7, 2008
    Well, I'm pretty new to bass, I just started a few months ago and the only instrument I had to practice on was a Fender jazz fretless, which was a wonderful bass. Anyways, I came home a few days ago and today I went to guitar center to buy a bass. I've had my eye on Peavey basses for awhile since they're pretty good looking and a big majority of the reviews for it were good. I went to the store, saw a peavey bxp cirrus, and played it. I really liked the sound and decided to buy it after some 10 minutes. I was so happy to have my own bass I made my brother drive home so I could sit in the back and play :smug:

Anyways, once I got home I took a break, but when I started playing again I noticed that tehre was a really strong fret buzz:crying:, mostly on the first 4 frets. I did some reasearch online adn read that the stock strings were considered poor so I went out and bought some new strings. After replacing the B string, the buzz was still there :mad: so I didn't bother to restring the other strings. I'm considering going back to trade the bass for one that has a better sound, but dunno, I'm embarrassed to take it back :p Ideas about getting rid of the buzz? or should I just take it back to Guitar Center and get something else in the same price range ($400-500); and any recomendations about what to get? I really like to play old incubus, so something that can slap would be nice :)

Thanks for help:bassist:

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    It just needs a good setup from the sounds of it. Pay the extra few dollars and get it professionally setup and then you will truly have a winner of a bass on your hands :)

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Agreed on it needing a good setup... there's also a very good chance you're playing it with a very heavy right hand in order to hear it. Lighten up your attack alot and let an amp do your work for you. Odds are that buzz will go away. If the bass was setup for someone with a light touch and your playing with a medium or heavy touch then it's gonna buzz slighty, considerably, or a whole lot depending on how it's setup.

and... Any bass can slap in the hands of someone who knows how to slap. If they couldn't you'd see "Slap Edition, Reggea Edition, Country bumpkin Edition, wrrRRrraarrRRRR Metalllll Edition", etc on all manufacturers lines of basses. Some brands tend to focus more on certain styles of music, but the bass does not make the player, or slapper in this case. The Slapper makes the bass.

4. Fiver

Fiver

Jul 7, 2008
    Heh, thanks, I'll take it in somewhere within a few days and what not... and I'm aware about the bass is, generaly speaking, the least important part in playing bass, that it's the person who matters, but I also know some basses are harder to do some things than others :p Anyways, thanks for the help, I'll tell you how it turns out :)

Edit:
    Well, took the bass into Guitar Center today... the repair guy said right away that it wasn't playable :p He said he'd get a guy to fix it up for free, and that I'd get it in a few days :) Thanks convincing me to just get it checked rather than returned :) can't wait to get it back :smug:

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021