1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 6505 Head question !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Basically, is the 6505 able to run a full stack. Thinking about surprising my husband with one since he's been wanting one for ages, and I found a really good deal... but I know he also wants to upgrade to 2 4x12 cabs instead of just the one in the future. Would hate to spend the money and find out it's not made to run both...and being as I know squat about guitar heads (as opposed to bass amp heads) and the differences, I thought I'd ask.

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The 6505 is the newer version of the 5150 (Eddie Van Halen took the name with him), definitely more geared for guitars..... Don't know how well it will work for bass, but I can remember something being said about transformer and capacitor sizes being a bit different between guitar and bass amps (although that may or may not be accurate). But I do know a few people here have used the old Ampeg V4's for both though.

3. Im assuming he already plays guitar, this thread being in Misc, and wanting two 412 cabs.

Being a tube amp there are a few different possiblilities of what cabs the head can take.
    On most guitar tube amps, they have a 16 ohm and a 4 ohm output, it may have an 8 ohm output as well.
    Have a look on the peavey website for what speaker outputs it has, then depending on how many ohms his current 412 is will be the thing deciding if he can hook up another one. With the right ohmage cabs, yes he can hook up 2 412 cabs.

4. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    It has 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 ohm switches, and I *think* his current 4x12 is a 4 or 8 ohm Marshall...but it's over at the drummer's house with the rest of the "big" equipment so I'll have to pop over to Marshall's site and double check.

And yes ;) it's definitely for guitar. I'd never try to run a bass through a guitar stack (I've known a few people who tried though!)

Thanks guys, I assumed that it could run a stack and it seems to have 2 outputs for it in the back but wanted to double check. So the 8 ohm + 8 ohm cab would be the 16 ohm limit so long as it was switched correctly for that limit? I think.

5. If its the Marshall 1960, Im 90% sure that has a 16 ohm input and 4 ohm (with 8 ohm stereo). In that case, you could run two 1960 412's in the 16 ohm input, with the output switch on the peavey set to 8 ohms.

EDIT: if its an 8 ohm, he can run another 8 ohm, which makes a 4 ohm load. But if its a 4 ohm your stuck as adding any other cabs would result in a totall load lower than 4 ohms which the peavey can't handle.

6. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Actually I just checked - he's got the 8 ohm MG series 4x12 and they run at 8 ohms, so I would assume then you switch the peavey output to 4 ohms (for each)? Bah, I suppose we'll have to research into that - but I picked him up the head anyway since I know for sure now it can handle two cabs so long as it falls in the impedance range, and I would assume he's going to get the twin to his Marshall 4x12 so the ohms should be the same.

I'll jet down to the Marshall store when they open today and ask their amp guy some specifics too and have it all figured out by the time his head gets here.

7. Im not sure on the Peavey, but two 8 ohm cabs will be a 4 ohm load, so set the output for that.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020