Peavey 696F PA/Mixer don't seem too powerful

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Hmmm, ok this thing is 600Watts per channel. We've currently got 2 speakers connected from one ouput in parallel(both are 8ohms so the total load is 40hms, so that's what the thing is optimized for). However, it's at full volume and it isn't massively loud, like we'd expect. Any ideas?
  2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    You say you have two speakers from one output? I would read this to mean it's sending 600 watts to one side only, and not using the full 1200 across two channels. What kind of speakers are you using? More efficient speakers will sound louder with fewer watts, and a poor speaker will suck your watts dry (a garbage can with copper wire wrapped around it can take 10,000+ watts easily before melting). What kind of mic's are you using? A low-level mic will sound soft, depending on the unit's preamps. More info is needed on this setup to help you effectively, I think.
  3. jabberwock said it well...

I use a Peavey XR1200D powered mixer that's only 300 watts per channel....and it's got plenty of volume for medium size events. When I use it as the sole source of power, I only run vocals plus acoustic guitar through it.

How you EQ also has a huge impact.