1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 80s basses: good to play or just for the museum?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Someone is selling a Peavey Foundation with a Jazz Neck and a Peavey T-40 for $150 each (I suppose OBO but I did not ask that yet).

Are these basses any good to play in a modern rock lineup, or are they just good for the museum?

They seem to be in really good condition from what he told me and they come with a hard case.

He did gig a lot with the Foundation.

I am looking for a bass with a good solid sound.

Are they good as is or are they upgradeable?

Or should I spend a bit more and get a MIM J or P-bass?

Thanks!!!

2. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    If you like the T40 neck then it's a good deal

3. The USA Peavey Foundations are some of the most cheapest, best quality basses out there. The necks on them are some of the nicest, thinnest necks you'll find. Thinner than a jazz.

4. budget bassist

budget bassist

Jan 4, 2009
    peavey T-40 for $150? BUY IT!! bargain of the year! They're going for about £400 over here!
    Peavey T-40's are really nice basses, go for it matey.

5. What would be the difference between the two?

He sent me those two photos from his cell phone, hard to make an idea, but he leaves 5 minutes away from my house, I can always go take a look.

Foundation:

View attachment 116864

T-40:

View attachment 116865

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

For rock.. go for the Foundation...

For $150 you can't go wrong.

Back in the day I played Glam Metal in statdiums with one of these.

My personal preference is a Super Ferite pickup and rosewood neck.

7. MNAirHead

Just saw your pix.,

The Foundation looks to be an early one.. snap it up .. sunburst with rosewood.

T-40 is excellent trading fodder.

I'll pay $50 for any bullet case (rotomold type)

8. MNAirHead

Sorry..

Difference..

The Foundation will have a sharper tone.. I went about a month between tuning my foundation.

T-40 is a rounder woodier tone.. it also weighs about 13#.. the hardware is impecible.

T.

9. I am ready to go look at them both now...

I like the Yamaha but it's just... errr.. I learned to play in the 80s. I miss the feeling of the big beefy bass.

I may get both and resell the one I do not like.

10. The sunburst Foundation with the rosewood neck is a bit rarer than the black/maple T40. Both good basses!

11. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I would say buy them both. If your looking for a beefy feeling bass then a T-40 could be for you.

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Two great basses, assuming they are in good shape. The Foundation is a great Jazz style bass, and $150 for a nice one is certainly worth it. The T40 is gonna' be heavy, but it has a wide variety of tones. Buy 'em both! :D

13. Well I just took a lot at them both.

The T-40 was stored with no strings (supposedly he was told that storing with strings would bend the neck ...hmmm...) and has a little bit of a warp towards the right (E string side). Otherwise it is in great shape, except for the switch towards the back, which seems to be in need of a replacement.

The other bass you can tell has been used and gigged with. There is no warp at all, as it was stored with strings, but there is sign of rust on the bridge as well as the tuners. It has the super ferites pickups. It is in need of big TLC.

I told him I would call him tomorrow. There is no OBO possible, I asked him he said "no $300 both, $150 each" :)

And I could not plug them in of course, as the T-40 has no string and the Foundation's strings are obviously at least a decade old.

I don't know what you guys think... maybe get them both, clean the Foundation and resell it for a fair value and play the T-40, even with the warp, which is not that pronounced but still.

14. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    At $300 for both, I'd jump on it.

15. MNAirHead

I've yet to know a Peavey USA neck that coudn't be straightened.

A local Luthier only charges me a few bucks to help with this.

T.

16. I'd say the neck is warped by about 1 degree towards the bass string.

You say a luthier can fix it?

The Foundation, I am sure I can clean it up, remove the rust and make it look good all by myself, the T-40 has to be seen by a luthier.

I need to think about it. And AirHead, I got your email, I don't see why we could not make a deal, at least on one.

17. MNAirHead

1 degree may not make a difference..

The truss systems on these are very solid.

Tim

18. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    +1, and great pickups, too. The Super-Ferrites are like Jazz bass pickups on steroids. I have a set from a Foundation that did have neck issues, unfortunately, and I'm keeping them until I can find something to put them in.

To the OP: If the bass has no strings you can still test it to see if it works. Just plug it in and lightly tap the pickups with something that sticks to a magnet.

19. I guess I can do that with my Korg PX4D?

He really is getting rid of everything, he sold his cab and head. Weird, huh?

As a 40-year old is starting to play again, another one is quitting.

And to who was asking: the warp is not huge, I guess it can be fixed by raising @ the bridge.

20. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    *sobs* Everyone gets a shot at a black T40 BUT ME. (wails).....*snif* Dude, $300 for both? Thats an early Foundation burst/rosewood AND the black/maple T40...GRAB them. You can't beat a Peavey bass especially ones from the 80s. Chip Todd (He is the T in the T series Peavey basses in the 80s) told me on the phone several months ago that Peavey is the 3rd best selling bass in the world today. Yet they still are very overlooked and underappreciated when it comes to resale.

I have an 85 Black/Rosewood Foundation (that I affectionately call 'The Dragon' because of its tone), an 85 Burst/Maple T40 (that I now call 'The Whomping Willow' because of its weight -- after I dropped it on my bare right big toe), an 87 Stealth Black Dynabass (solid black with all black hardware factory that is called 'Bad@ss'), I think Im about to pick up another mid 80s Black/Rosewood Foundation and some pieces to a white/rosewood one. Plus I have a 92 Red/Maple Foundation 5er, a 92 Red/Maple Foundation 4 string (though that one is about to be traded off) and ALL of my peaveys save the T40, but even my Foundation 5er, has super ferrites (bit odd for Foundation5ers to have Super Ferrites but they are out there). Major good pup.

You cant beat a Foundation for speed of neck, balance and sound. The 80s to me seem the best though my only exposure to the Fs have been my 92s and my 85. I will take a 90s any day but Id grab an 80s first if I had a choice. And the T40 is known as the 'Tone Monster'. Pick a tone and this beast can nail it arguably dead on from Ric 4001-3 to Fender P and anything in between. But get ready for some tonnage regarding that monster. >_< I have the Levy 4.5 inch padded 'super bass strap' for mine and I still can't play it for more than an hour standing up (ok Im a chick with a bad back and nerve damage in my left shoulder of all places...)

But $300 for both with their cases? You haven't gotten them yet? O_O