1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey 80s (T-40/45/20 or Patriot) tuners? Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Basstovsky, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I love the tuners on my '79 T-40 and an early 80s Patriot I have played, any idea where I could get more of them, or very similar tuners?

I have a number of frankensteins that could use new tuners, and I love these, heavy but smooth turning, good gear ratio, and seem to hold tune forever.

2. Both schaller and grover made tuners similar to the Peaveys(I believe the T-40's were made by schaller). If you look at their websites I wouldn't be surprised if they still make them.

3. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I had a hunch it might be schaller, the next best tuners I have were Schallers made for gibson (i have never seen a gibson bass with this style tuner, but they have gibson etched into them) the tuning keys are identical, but it is open gear vs. the closed peavey.

I will have to scrounge deeper into their websites.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Peavey used heavy Schaller "BML" tuners for a long time. They were on my Dyna-Bass as well as many other Peavey 80s models. Here is a web site in New Zealand which sells them - Are those the tuners you like? I like 'em, too. So much so that when I had a custom jazz bass built I had them installed. They are very good, but very heavy.

There is a new replacement tuner which is much lighter using light alloys instead of heavy brass. They are the Schaller BML Light Tuners (link to Warmouth page). I have these on my Peavey Millenium and I like them even more than the original BMLs.

5. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008