Peavey 810 sound good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frugle, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    So while I'm willing, and able, i would like to get an 810 cab.... just becuase. I know people here would rather have the smaller ones, but I need the experience :)

So my local music store has a peavey 810 cab on sale for 500 dollars... looks like a pretty good deal to me, but I was just curious,

does Peavey make a good cab? it looks like it's fairly new, it has a harder outside than the cloth covering, whichever model that is..

I have read people praise them over ampeg... but I don't always agree with people.

what do you think? I like a rich fat tone, I don't normally put to much growl into my bass... I would rather it be smooth and round.

i was thinking of getting one of those, with a firebass 700 amp... to run it at the full 400 watts....
  2. alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    My experience with Peavey bass gear has been very positive. I've had a 410TX and 1-15" BW cabs for 10 years, and I absolutely love the tone. Very well rounded and versatile cabs for a low price. I'd say go for it! I almost bought the 810 instead, but decided on the 2 cabs for transportability.
  3. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I tried the 410TVX and though it was absolutely thunderous in the low end dept. so I can't imagine how low and loud this cab can be. I just think the 400W RMS rating is just too small for an 8x10". On the other hand, given Peavey's conservative rating methods, I bet it can take double that power with no risk.

4. I play two, stacked, Peavey 410TVX cabinets. Soundwise it's got tons of thunder. I never compared with other cabinets though...
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Peavey's 810 TX and TVX are both very good cabinets. Hugh sound when properly driven with a good amp.

Hope you've got a truck and a roadie.

6. Im betting it'll sound pretty good, i use a 410 and a 215, to get the full 700watts from my firebass ;) , but the 475 watts you'd get is still pretty damned loud :D

Both the sets of cabs peavey make these days have full metal grills, one is silver, one is black, the silver one is the pro series which are apparently better but ive never had the chance to use any of those cabs yet
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

Ah, a teenager (from your profile) wanting an 810 cab . . . just because . . . .

I guess we all have to learn somehow.

What's your application? Your profile states that you're going from a guitar amp to an 801???? If its for home use, you'll never get to turn it up enough to get a big round tone. Overkill to be sure. If you're in a band, how will it compare to the amps the rest of your guys are using?
  8. Nice round tone = 12's or 15's not 10's IMHO. Test it back-to back with a 12 or 15 cab and make your choice THEN.
  9. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    ah yes, the ignorent teenager who will not listen to the wise adults.. .how common is that?

actually I have a few friends (older folks, late 30s, early 40s) who play through 810s, and I really like the way they sound... so i've been trying to copy them :).

It's not for home use, I do play in a "band" if you can call it that...

The rest of the band will be useing a decent PA... but the PA doesn't have subs, so I wanted to get an amp so that I don't get that nasty muddy everything through 1 speaker tone :)
    I'll still be useing headphones at home for the most part... cause my only chance to really practice is from about 12:00 to 3:00 :).
  10. I've got the Pro 4x10 cab. It handles low mids with aplomb. You won't go wrong with the 8x10. You're young, and have a strong back :D
  11. I have no experience with Peavey 10s, but I generally have had good experience with their 12" and 15" bass and guitar cabs. I think the 15" Black Widow is one of the all time great speakers. My experience is that you usually get your money's worth with Peavey and they are built like tanks. They also weigh about the same as a tank. ;)
  12. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    yup yup, good that's what I was hoping to hear..

does anyone run a high pass filter on their peavey stuff that cuts out anything under 100? It seems a lot of people do that.

oh and another quick question, on top of the peavey, they had an OLD glacken kruger (sp?) 300 watt amp.. I don't think it was tube, but it sure was large enough to be.... it was very basic with only main volume, channel volume and some eq settings if I remember correctly.... the store was selling it for 250.... what that be better to get than a peavey amp? I know it's less power, but is it higher quality?
  13. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I say go for it. I'm one of those dumb kids that want a ton of speakers just because I can.
    2x15 with a 2x10 on the way
  14. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    IMHO the Peavey Firebass 700 or Max 700 are very good and will be the least expensive choice you can make for the power to run the 8x10.

15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I'm an old guy, over 50, and I'd say you'll probably never be satisfied until you either own or have played a few times through an 810. I understand that you want to know how well it does the job. Don't worry about folks who want to portray themselves as a "master sensei" and you as a "butterfly" who has to walk miles in their shoes before you reach their level of perfect knowledge. Whether or not you keep playing through an 810 or whether you later decide you'd rather have something lighter and easier to carry is your decision, and I think its a perfectly great thing to own. I use my 810 quite often, and I also use an Eden 210 cab often as well. 810s are a hoot to play through, in the right situation and particularly if your band's PA is limited. Just be aware it wont be real useful in small venues, and you will need something to haul it around in. While I don't own any Peavy cabs I understand they make some pretty decent reliable stuff.
  16. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I never portrayed him as a "novice", just noted that he's a teenager that's never before owned a bass amp. I'm questioning the application, not the person. An 810 in a bedroom is ridiculous, I don't care how old you are.

Its also inappropriate if you're playing in a garage band where the guitarists have tiny little combo's. Not to mention if this guy isn't even old enough to drive, doesn't have access to a car large enough to get the cab around, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. (x1,000,000,000.00).
  17. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Eric ok, no harm. Sorry if I my post appeared harsh. I understand what you are saying and I also understand the desire/(need?) to try the 810.
  18. Who cares if its rediculous, its full having something to annoy the hell out of your neighbours with (pretty much all my setup is if for atm)

And to all you old timers, you should know your bass tone only sounds truley good with a few hernias!
  19. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd argue the opposite - good tone comes from pushing your amp, getting it to open up. I get MUCH better tone inside my house with my little 2x8" SWR Baby Blue II than I do with my two Aguilar 4x10's and a big pre-power setup. Because I can drive it to the point of sounding warm.

Of course, YMMV.
  20. I have an Ampeg 810 and its the sweetest thing ever, so id say save up and get one of those instead of the peavey. It sounds sooooo right.