Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 8x10... HEAVEN!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jun 27, 2002.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    All I can say is WOW! This morning my band went and jammed in a band that we are kind of friends withs jam room, I brought my bass and my head and used his cab, a Peavey 8x10 and it handled EVERYTHING I could give it. The B string wasnt a problem at all, and I have alot of bass boost going on with my amp.. The cab didnt bottom out at all.. The guitar amp was a Carvin full stack( tube), set really loud, and my master volume was on 1.5.... and our drummer is really loud. Now, I have to have one, IMO it ate the Megoliath and the SVT 8x10s I have played... Anyone else have any experience with one of these? Know anyone wanting to sell one?:)

2. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I was at a live outdoor concert where Bill Dickens (the Buddha himself) played through two Peavey 8x10s driven by a DPC1400 amp. When he busted into a solo, I had to move back from the stage quite a bit because my insides were hurting from the kick of these cabs.

Peavey's 4x10 and 8x10 units are great values right now.

3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Better than Megoliath? In which way?

4. SWEET.. it's 400w/4ohms.. perfect cab to go with my Hartke 4000 :D

goes for 1347 euro ( $ 1250 - 1300 i guess )

will certainly check it out next week !

5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    It has the Megoliath beat, its louder, moves more air, punchier and handled low stuff better than any 18 i have played on....

6. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark

Apr 12, 2002
    Last time I checked bassnw.com, they had one for like 450 I think. So, you might check them out.

What makes ME sick, is that last month, one sold on ebay for 182.50 and I was too paranoid to bid. :-(

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Peavey is overlooked because it's not "high end" but they make a lot of severly underrated gear. I've A/Bed an all Peavey stack with an all SWR stack, and frankly I thought the Peavey was just as nice, if not a little better, in that is was really clear! The basses really shine through on the Peavey stuff. I like that.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've played through one of these on several occasions and found that they seemed surprisingly thin sounding. Grant it, I was standing in front of the cab. It may have been a different story in the other part of the bar. It's just seemed that my Ag GS410 was fuller sounding and probably just as loud.

I just figure that with a cab that big it would be tough to handle the stairs that I've had to deal with on my last two gigs.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    So true! I've got a few Peavey items that I actually liked better than several options that were much higher in price.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cirrus and Peavey Max, among other things...heck, Gard used/has as backup a Peavey Max, and he only went "up" to Demeter because he wanted something different.

heck Peter Steele (Type O Negative) uses the Max (and I'm thinkin' about it too!)

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Brendan,

Call me crazy. I actually liked the Max more than the Ampeg SVP-Pro. I'm looking into getting another preamp in the near future but not because I'm unhappy with the Max. I just want something that offers a little different flavor. I guess that I'm thinking like Gard on that one. ;) I love Peavey haters. That just assures that I'll continue to find some 'diamonds in the rough' at killer prices because so many of them won't even consider Peavey as a viable option! :D

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Suckers!

I dig Peavey just as much as anything. I'm thinking the Max is gonna be my backup pre-amp (one of these days) I think they sound pretty darned good. Mind, it was at a music store, so it wasn't a true test, but I liked it well enough. Good stuff.

13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Thats expensive Allo, here i can get it brand new for 699$ But it is the best 8x10 imo....

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    So, Allo, Did you get a chance to try it???

15. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a great rig- except for all those 10" speakers and the Peavey factor.

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i wonder if bassnw still has theres?
    for $450 you can't go wrong!

steve

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Try it before you rule it out. The Peavey stereotype does not apply to everything that they make. In all honesty, I'm not sure that stereotype applies at all anymore.

18. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    yeah, dont rule it out because of the name, it was better than the swr and ampeg 810s i have played on... But this is all in my opinion...

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think i am going to sell my 410 and buy that 8x10.
    does anyone want a crate 410?

steve

20. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Well, hey, that's fabulous if you like the way it sounds. Trust me, I've had plenty of experience with both Peavey gear (I was young and poor once, too) and 10" speakers and I'm happy to put all that behind me. Yech, I hate 10" speakers. Why not just play through your car stereo? But, again, if it works for you, that's great- I'll be over here in the corner getting a hernia with all my 2x15 cabs.