1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TeeZeeMee90, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    I found a online deal that is really tempting to me, but I dont know much about this specific run of Peavey basses.

The Peavey Forum Bass. It is a USA made model, and has a PJ set up. It is in beater condition but I would've fixed it up to my liking anyhow....the question that gets me is it is fretless..

Did they come this way? I want a fretless so thats not a problem, just making sure I am not getting someones Jaco project.:help:

2. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    You might want to ask the Peavey club I don't believe they made that model fretless.

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Peavey did make many fretless basses around this that time period (early-mid 90's), so it's very possible that it's a factory fretless. Is the fretboard lined?

4. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    The board is lined. Rosewood. It is hard to tell if theres any damage due to the darker wood.

5. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Every fretless Peavey I've ever seen is rosewood, so that's good. I've seen more un-lined fretless than lined fretless, though. The p/j Forum is an inexpensive bass on the used market, so it's possible that someone de-fretted it. If this is a CL ad, and you can't inspect it first, I'd pass. Forums come up for sale all the time, and you can find the passive models for under $150 all the time.

6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    are you talking about the beat to hell one on ebay? if so, that price is way too steep imo

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That bass DEFINITELY was de-fretted by an amateur. It's a complete hack job, a real mess! Did you see where one of the previous owners carved his initials into the rosewood fretboard at the 1st and 2nd frets?? Do not bid on that bass!

8. FWIW, I have a '92 Foundation fretless. Factory built, rosewood and lined fretboard.