Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Alpha Tube Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tristan, May 14, 2002.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    There is a shop selling one of these locally for $175 CDN, or just over $100 US. I'm in the market for a new rig and wanted some opinions of this peice of gear. Thanks

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I saw this thread earlier and hoped that someone else would chime in. I remember the Alpha as being a tube bass head, not a preamp. I may remember this incorrectly but I don't think so. If it sounds good to you it certainly is cheap enough.

Chuck

3. Peavey made the AlphaBass in both a head and a preamp. The head had a pretty wimpy power section but the preamp was actually really nice. I owned the head version. I used to turn the power amp down all the way and run the preamp out into a CS-800 power amp on real loud gigs. I dug the preamp, and a friend of mine in Halifax still uses one. For $175, it's a good deal for the preamp and a SMOKIN' deal if it's the head!
    The preamp has 4 12ax7s in it if I remember correctly.....

4. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's definitely the preamp. The shop also has the head, but I'm not so interested in it... it's about $400 CDN, i think... which is around $250 US.