Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I got a new Nitrobass head with a Peavey 115BVX. It's plenty loud, but I need some pointers from some Peavey vets on how best to tweak it for tone. Thanks for your help.

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well, I don't have that head, but I have had several Peaveys (a T-Max, right now), and I'll tell you they're really transparent -- you ain't gonna get a lot of tone with the EQ flat.

That's good news if you like the way your bass sounds, because you're gonna hear the bass, not the amp.

I tend to bump the lows up a little and scoop the the low-mids.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Congrats on your purchase. It will serve you well. As far as tweaking your tone, it depends on what sound you are after and the capabilities of your bass. I would suggest leaving the bass control no higher than 12 o'clock. If your bass is not bright sounding, push the bright switch in . You will have a lot of room to adjust in the mid frequency. You have a cut/boost knob and a frequency knob. I seem to find that a frequency between about 600 and 1khz suits my mids fine. Experiment with boosting and cutting in those frequencies. I would also leave the treble at about 12 o'clock, unless you really need it. The contour control is really wonderful on that head...start with it off and then gradually increase it. It boosts the low and high frequencies and cuts the mids. There is a lot of power in that knob. Enjoy your new rig!

kim

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That transparent sems to mean lifeless to a lot of folks just because it has the Peavey name on it. :rolleyes:

I've got the MAX preamp and a KiloBass head. I think that the preamp section of the Kilo is identical to the T-Max. The MAX pre is the same with the addition of 3-band passive tone controls on the tube side.

I normally leave the passive tone controls and the 7-band graphic EQ on the solid state side set flat. I also tend to like the hybrid tone by running both channels combined and slightly favoring the tube side with the blend. There's also high and low shelving on each that I experiment with first if I'm not satisfied with my tone.

From there I find that I'm able to get all of the tone that I need from the onboard preamp of my instrument. I haven't played around with the Firebass, Nitrobass or Deltabass very much and I'm a long way from being a veteran. I think you'll find that the newer Peavey amps, like the model that you just purchased, have a lot to offer. I know that I've been very pleased with what I currently own and with the Mark VIII XP series head that I sold to finance the purchase of the KiloBass. I sure wish that I still had that thing..... :(

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Thanks for the help guys. This is the first Peavey rig I've ever owned. If people can look past the name and their conceptions of Peavey, they'd realize that this is a pretty good amp.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, Ebozz, I know what you mean -- when it's a kajillion-dollar Glockenklang, it's "transparent." When it's a Peavey, it's "sterile."

:rolleyes:

Actually, Wood, I was kind of surprised to see you went with a Peavey rig -- I always kind of thought you were a high-end guy. And I agree with your assessment -- if people could get past the name, I think they'd be surprised at how good some (not all) of Peavey's stuff is.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I did something that I'd never done before. Played one! As for high end, I've never actively sought it, sound was always a factor to me.

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Word. That's what hooked me.