Peavey Amp Trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nigeltufnel, Aug 24, 2005.

1. nigeltufnel

Aug 24, 2005
    Hello all,
    I have an old Peavey TNT 160 (scoropion equipped). The problem is that when you plug in and power up, there is no sound. If I turn the pre- and post-gain up to about 4 or 5 there is a quiet, static-y signal. If i then turn up to between 5 and 6 and play a heavey note it will turn on and work fine (even if the gain is turned back down). I pulled the amp out and inspected it, nothing looked wrong (but I'm not too savy with this stuff). I also cleaned everything with electrical contact cleaner, but that didn't do much. I am wanting to sell the amp and don't want to take it to a tech who will charge me as much as it is worth.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? Also, what is the price range that I could seel this amp in if I get it working right (I have no idea how much it's worth)?

Thanks for all the help. It is greatly appreciated!
  2. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I'm sure you've checked for a possible battery in your bass and the instrument cable, right? I have a Peavey TNT 115, the only problem I've ever had with it is it getting hot. (I helped that process by sitting on top of it the whole time...)

Just check the basic things first, maybe you're over looking something.
  3. I've witnessed this, too, my guitar player has a similar Peavey combo. He'd have to turn it all the way up to "jump start" it, then it'd work fine as long as it was still on. He took it to an amp repair shop but they weren't able to do anything with it

Since it's not my amp I haven't opened it up to look at it, but I'm guessing either a problem in its speaker protection circuit or its DDT compression.

Without this problem, I'd guess its worth $100 to 150...
  4. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I've had amps that did that before and it was the shorting contact in the send and return jacks being dirty. I fixed a marshall dsl like that by swapping the jacks around. That could be it. Good luck.
  5. nigeltufnel

Aug 24, 2005
    Thanks for the replys!

timv: What are the send/return jacks you are reffering to? It has a high and low input; low range and high range output (for crossover); and preamp out and poweramp in. Are you referring any of these jack pairs?

Thanks again!