Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    How are these amps? My dad seems to think theyll be good cuz he was friends with a guy who knew Paul Peavey. And 30 years ago when that was that he really liked peavey amps. What do they cost for combo amps ? Where Can I get one and how are they compared to ampeg and fender?

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Peavey stuff tends to split people. Some think that they're awful, while a lot of people agree that for the price, they're pretty good amps.

My own experience with Peavey is that they're actually decent amps, and quite tough too (one Peavey rig that's the house setup at a place I play is over 25 years old! :eek: ). For the price, a Peavey will normally see you well. At least, that's what I think...

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Play 'em all. Then decide.

I did.

Then I bought Peavey.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yep. Peavey certainly sparks conversation. I found most PAs and bass rigs to be very usable. Their guitar stuff sounds like a traffic accident. Although I know there are some all-tube peavey guitar amps that people like.

I watched Lynard Skynard last month on the dish. They were the free concert. They have been sponsered by Peavey for years. They sounded great.

If your purse says Peavey, you really can't go wrong.

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I HAD one. To me there is something about their sound that is just weird and odd like a strange eq setting that you just cant get out of it. The "Peavey Roar"

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, I've only owned Peavey amps for a short time, but here is my take on them;
    Microbass-IMO probably the best practice amp I've ever heard. Has a lot of lows for an amp with an 8" speaker.
    Combo 115-I really like this amp. Heavy, yes. But, it's built like a tank, can expand to 300 watts with an extension cab, and IMO sounds way better than the Fender BXR 400 amp it replaced.
    I think Peavey makes good reliable stuff. If you don't believe me, ask CrawlingEye; he has a really sweet setup-Firebass 2 head, with 4x10, and 1x15 cabs.
    This is of course just my opinion.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Peavey makes good reliable bass amps. If you like their sound, they're a great value :) .

8. I recently got me a peavey firebass 700 and 410 cab. Going to get me the 115 cab soon to go with it. I think it sounds great, although a built in compressor and a mute switch would be nice, and for the money you cant go wrong. But as stated above, try out as many brands as you can, and get the one you like. Sound and tone is a personal thing.
    eddie:)

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have a Peavey FireBass II, a Peavey 115BXBW and a Sonic 6x10. My rig definately has the power, but I am still trying to dial in my sound.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Want to buy any of my rig?

I want to sell it and get a G-K 800 RB.

And that means I'll need new cabs, so it's all goin'.

It's not even a year old, never been gigged with. Nothing wrong with it at all...

I'm selling the whole thing for $950

Here's a pic of it: www.geocities.com/cvinfestedcv/Sterling-Amp

Note: the bass (my sterling) will never get sold, so don't think about it... ;)

If you can't tell what all that is...

The head's a Peavey II 700 Firebass.
    The top cab's a Peavey 410TXF.
    The bottom cab's a Peavey 115BXBW.

E-mail me if you're interested
    ( CrawlingEye138@msn.com )

The only reason I'm getting rid of it, is because I want a sterile tone... It gets a really good middy tone, with expressive lows.

That's my input. :)

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Peavey's don't need a compressor, they use DDT speaker protection. Which doesn't cut any of the dynamics out of your signal, like a compressor does, but prevents your amp from clipping. :)