Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by s_boy, Mar 23, 2002.

1. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    hey all, first post on this forum. i heard about this group over on the harmony central bass forum. seems like a nice place to hang!

i am fairly new to bass playing but i've played guitar for appx 30 yrs and know what good bass tone sounds like. i am finding the transition pretty interesting, with more to learn that i thought at first.

i have had the opportunity to play a lot of fine bass amps, but my budget only afforded me a Peavey (TNT 115/ 200w @ 4ohm). my plan was to buy this and upgrade later... however, i am finding that this amp gets better the more i learn its capabilities. and playing side by side with supposedly better amps... i am beginning to wonder why bassist spend so much money for such marginal gain in tone on the high end bass amps out there? at this point i am looking to set the TNT on top of a 2x10 Peavey Cab to get a bit more definition over all. if i can gain that aspect... i am pretty sure that this amp will kick booty with the best for a long time.

is there any merit to what i am saying.... or am i tone deaf on the low side? :D :D :D

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had a TNT a long time ago, used with a Music Man StingRay and a Fender Telecaster Bass. Sounded cool, given that it is a low-priced solid state amp.

Seems to me that the TNT is among the best combos in its category, but it's a matter of taste though.

All I can say however, is that my TNT was very solid. I hope they're still now.

All the best,

3. Knowing what a good Bass tone is and trying to achieve it is two very differant things, especially on a limited bidget. The TNT is very good combo, one of the best in its class, but, depending on the type of music you intend to play, and the other muzo's in the band, it will struggle to be heard. I run a Peavey Firebass through a Crate 2x15, and a MAJ custom 2x10 with high pass filter. I stopped using this set up when I bought an Ashdown MAG 200 4x10 combo (to cut down on the transport weight), it was a fantastic rig at rehearsal, but come the gig it struggled to cut through, I have now gone back to the big rig. My point is, what sounds great in the bedroom/shop/rehearsal, may not in a live situation. Guitarists seldom have that problem.

4. steveg

steveg

Feb 26, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I used to have a TNT115. I got rid of it because it was too heavy and I didn't really like the sound. My 40 year old back decided it would rather have something lighter, so I traded it for a Hartke Kickback. Half the weight and just as loud, and I like the sound better.

I'd check your outputs to make sure you really can plug in an extension cab. The amp I had didn't have any.

The Peavey stuff is really rugged, but they have a mid-range that I don't care much for. I always end up using an EQ pedal to kill the 800 hz range. Your mileage may vary.

5. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    yea it is a heavy mama... i am definitely going to put casters and extra handles on it... SOON!

it has xlr out (post input gain and pre eq).

i play for 2 different bands in and out of church settings, outdoors, etc... the TNT cuts thru on stage easily. THE 2X10 CAB WILL BE IN NEXT WEEK... CAN'T WAIT!

again... i really am surprised and like the tone and feel of this combo as well!

6. steveg

steveg

Feb 26, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I don't want to be insulting if you already know this, (you did mention you were new to this) but the XLR out isn't the same as a speaker out. The XLR out is for plugging into a PA. It won't do you any good with an unpowered extension cab. My apologies if you already knew that.

Seriously, make sure the store is being upfront with you about the external cab. My TNT didn't have a speaker out. The specs on the Peavey site don't mention it for the new ones either, although it does say 150 Watts @ 4 ohms/200Watts @ 2 ohms, implying you could run an extension cab.

7. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hi
    I just thought you might like to know I recently ( 22.02.02) downloaded some info about the TNT 115s and that listed an External Speaker jack in the Spec.
    The link should be
    http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/tnt115.html
    Just in case you have a bad back :) the weight is given as 82.6lbs

8. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
  9. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    If you like the sound of the Peavey, stick with it. Other people can give their opinions but it is your opinion that matters most because you are using the equipment.

One thing I can say about Peavey amps. They can take a lot of abuse. More reliable than most amps.

10. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    steveg,

no offense taken... i am well aware of the difference between xlr and cab out conectors. the TNT has both.

i am new to buying bass equipment... but not sound gear (guitars, PA's, recording gear, etc). i looked it over pretty good before the deal went down :D

11. joerosen

joerosen

Jan 30, 2002
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    Unlike what most players say, I just love Peavey bass amps. I had the MARK VIII head with a 2x10 cab (that I still own) and really liked the sound and the way it deals with the low end. the only thing I didn't like about the head was the weight. So about a year ago I upgraded to a GK (which is much better IMO), but I would definitely keep the Peavey if it wasn't so heavy.
    I say keep it. you have to listen to your own ears after all. don't you?

12. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I have a Peavey T-MAX rack mounted with a Furman line conditioner/tuner plugged into a 1-15BW and a new 410TVX. Killer rig. Really rattles the teeth. I like many used to buy Peavey 'cause I was on a tight budget. Now I would buy Peavey because I really like it. Their latest generation equipment really seems to stack up well against other names and also has the durability to withstand more abuse than most.......but your ears are the real judge and the only judge that matters! Good luck.

Hammer

13. rhythmrod

rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    You can't go wrong with a Peavey!

14. steveg

steveg

Feb 26, 2002
    Madison, WI
    That's pretty cool that they finally have a speaker out on the TNT. I think you'll like the one 15, two 10 combination. If it wasn't for the weight I'd still have mine.

I've still got a couple Peavey bass amps, though. One is an old TKO 80. It's got a single 12 and really sounds good. A little short on power, but it's really rugged.

Good luck with your new toys!

15. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've used a few Peaveys in my time, and I think they're pretty good - they're built like a brick :eek:house, and you can usually get a decent, if not earth-shattering tone out of them.

I think it's horses for courses, though... some people genuinely don't like the tone from the Peaveys, and some I suppose are scared off by their previous reputation. If the TNT does the job for you, that's great.