1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peavey and lab series???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theworstbassist, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I just wanted to know if a lab series l4 bass head is o.k. to
    run through a peavey 1820(one 18 inch and 2 ten inch
    speakers) that is rated at 4 ohms at 450 watts. the head is rated at 500 watts at 8 ohms. I just don't want to blow anything up because I am playing a house show in a few days. It seems to work well at practice....I figure a 1979 18 inch black widdow speaker will take practically anything. haha. thanks for your time!

2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Just make sure that the head can run at 4 ohms, if it can't go lower than 8, I wouldn't do it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 the wattage ratings mean nothing, but make sure the amp is stable to 4 ohms, (most are), and you're good to go.

4. The lab series says 8 ohm minimum load, so would that be ok? thank you guys for any help.

5. No, based on the stated ratings, it would not be okay to use the 8-ohm head with a 4-ohm cabinet. I have seen people run gear that was incompatable based on the manufacturer's ratings and get away with it, but to be safe, I would look for an 8-ohm cabinet or 4-ohm head (depending on which piece you want to keep).

The danger is more to overheating the head than overpowering the speaker cabinet, although if you crank it, there would probably be enough watts there to blow a speaker and the crossover because most heads put out more watts at 4 ohms than 8 ohms.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 if the amp is actually 8 ohms minimum, then 4 is lower, right? So, bad. Don't use a cab rated LOWER than the amps MINIMUM.

7. how about this one? my gk 410 rated at 400 watts and 8 ohms and the same lab series from above 8 ohm and 500 watts. would it be safe to crank?