PEAVEY anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Peavey seems to have a bad reputation as being the poor mans equipment. I happen to be a poor man!

Do Peavey heads and Cabs hang with the rest of the pack when it comes to tone? The Firebass 700 head seems to be reasonably priced as well as their 4x12 and 4x10 enclosures.

What do they sound like? Does solid state vs. tube make that big of a difference when it comes to bass?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    In my opinion, no way. In many others' opinions, hell yes! You have to try them out yourself to see which side you're on.
    I also mainly see Peavey as the "poor mans equipment", but you certainly can find worse ways of spending your money. :) IOW, they'll do the job. And from what I hear, they are very reliable too.
  3. What would a peavey system with a Sansamp bass driver sound like?

I'm heading to Dallas today to do some more looking, I think I will give Peavey a try. I'm taking my bass with me so there will be no doubt about how things sound.
  4. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I have a FireBass 700 (white face) I picked it up in a trade deal. I had planned on turning around and selling it. Now that I've had it a while I'm starting to really like it. Its seems very well-built and durable...and powerful! Don't count it out.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Count - I've never owned a Peavey, but I own a Bass Driver and I think it's safe to say it'll sound like you have almost twice the amp you have now.

I bought the SansAmp in hopes of getting a particular sound I wanted. The SansAmp doesn't get that sound. However, considering what it did for my sound, there's no way I'm returning/selling it. For the money, you can't do as much for your fundamental sound with any other addition I know of, except new strings.

It's like my BBE Sonic Maximizer, in that, when you first go through the unit, you think, "So what?" Then try your bass without it, and the difference is like night and day. It's the closest I've ever gotten to the bull cahones of an SVT without the expense and weight, (note: I said "closest," not, "same as.")
  6. GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    T-MAXX it's a far better sounding head than the firebass but I heard it's discontinued (****) anyhow I got an old sansamp rackmount distortion unit and it sounds great through the peavey but the tube channel is about all the distortion I'll need.....
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Peavey makes real workhorse equipment. Some people like the sound and many don't, but most will tell you that Peavey equipment is some of the most rugged stuff out there. Plus its relatively cheap.

Bottom line: Go try some Peavey stuff and if you like the sound get it. You won't have to worry about reliability issues.
  8. when it comes to Peavey I would reccomend one of their higher wattage models for the sake of headroom.but I really suggest a GOOD speaker cab. the head will only sound as good as the speakers they're goin thru..I've owned a few Peavey heads and I discovered that a good speaker cab made a LOT of difference,Peavey cabs seem to have a "cardboard boxxy" kind of sound with a lot of mid-range coloration(to me anyway)maybe due to the inferior materials used in construction?..I don't know..but a good cab will help in regards to punch and clarity..I'm expecting some one to lash out me for badmouthing bring it on :) happy shopping Funkula
  9. I've used a few Peavey combo in my time, they sound like guitar amps to me.
  10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'll put in my two cents. Seven years ago, I wouldn't have touched Peavey with a 10-foot-pole.

Based on previous experience with older stuff they made, and buying into the big Peavey bias out there, I considered it all crap.

But when I was looking for a new amp, I did A LOT of reading and tried A LOT of stuff, I was surprised to find that the Peavey stuff ranked well along side of gear costing substantially more. In most of the articles and shoot-outs I read, the Peavey gear was rated very high (with many of the pros participating in blind "taste-tests" saying "This is Peavey???")

I tried it out along side of Hartke, SWR, and Ampeg, and quickly concluded that Peavey offered more than the others at an affordable price.

I had my Combo 115 for five years and loved it. Great sound, great features, rugged and reliable. I later added a 210TXF cab which really opened up the sound.

I subsequentally traded the the combo and got a T-Max head and a 115BX BW cab to use with the 2X10. Sounds great.

The biggest problem Peavey has, IMO, is that it is not one of the "cool" brands.

My advice is to check it out and give it a fair shake. You may be as surprised as I was.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have the Peavey Firebass 700 II and couldn't be happier. I couple it with the 410TVX cab and get a lot of compliments on my "sound." I love the tone I get, it's extremely durable, and it's POWERFUL! I run it at 4 ohms and have many people tell me that it would hold up at 2 ohms without problem. Try it.

Incidentally, my practice amp is a Peavey 110 MINX combo. I adore the tone on this lightweight little combo. It's very durable and is a mainstay to my practice time.
  12. I CAN"T STAND PEAVEY (sorry Peavey fans). NOT GOOD FOR ME AT ALL, and I play EVERYTHING.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you mind telling why you can't stand it? Is there a legitimate reason, or is it just brand bias?
  14. A few months back I bought a Peavey Mark VI head, it was used, in great shape, and cheap (less than $200). I tried it in the store, and thought it sounded good enough. I had originally planned on using it in tandem with my Hartke 3500, using an A/B box. The Peavy couldn't hang with the Hartke, but is now sounding great when used for my upright. It is very clean if not as punchy as the Hartke (which is kind of hissy).

My only real bitch about the Peavy is the omission of a direct out- C'mon guys!
    I should also say that with the use of an outboard pre-amp (L.R. Baggs Para-acoustic DI), I can get my poor ole plywood upright to sound like a very nice solid wood bass. I run it thru a JBL MR115 cab.
    I would definately stay away from Peavey cabs, I don't think they are as efficient as could be.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have owned more Peavey brand equipment than any other. Right now I have a 210TX and a Minx 110. I have bought all of them used and treated them, well, not badly. I just put them in my car trunk and drive 'em around to my gigs and rehearsals. Point is they serve me well and aren't that expensive to replace in the event they got stolen. anyone would steal a Peavey...:D

Will C.:cool:
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Will - There's a lot of wisdom in what you said. In years past, I've been on tours and the only time you see your gear is when you leave the hotels and show up for soundchecks. Once the show's over, you don't see it again till the next day, just whichever bass you left on the bus to pass the time.

And even now, playing clubs, I would feel very uneasy leaving an Alembic/Vigier/Wal/Kriis-Austen/Status/et al, for the amount of time I leave my gear unattended on breaks or after soundchecks. However, in clubs, I don't think I have to worry about anyone hauling off one of my buttbuster amps.
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I was just thinking... it sure seems like these two companies have a lot in common (as far as their equipment and users go)...

Both make inexpensive gear.

Both seem to have poor to average resell value.

Most people agree that the gear is not the best, but good value for the dollar.

Hmm.... could they be alter-egos of eachother?
  18. I've been using Ampeg equipment for years, got my first one in late '62, early '63, not sure exactly. Anyway, I was in the market a while back for a bigger head for some outdoor gigs that we were doing. I wanted a basic, simple amp that would provide reliability, good sound, and work with my existing three cabinets (all Ampeg). I shopped around and tried a number of heads. I even rented a few. I settled on a Peavey Firebass II.

Why - recommendation from friends about Peavey, current reputation, cost, and the sound that I experienced with the Firebass. No it does not come up to my Ampeg head in sound quality (SVT-III). But, it's still a nice sounding amp and reasonably priced. I've been using it for a while now and I'm real happy with it. Both of the bands I play in like it, and I've received favorable comments from other musicians on its sound. This is my first Peavey. I'm happy. It probably won't be my last.
  19. David Ellefson of Megadeth uses Peavey--that's good enough for me. My Peavey combo & my SansAmp sound badass. This summer I plan on getting a new system - a new Peavey system, that is.
  20. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Yeah, I'm looking into a Peavy 2x15 or maybe an 8x10 to take on the road. I have an expensive rig, but I don't want to take that with me in the van... I tend to use a muddy distorted bass sound... I turn the tweeters off on my SWRs...