Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I was glad to see Peavey recognized in this month's Guitar World magazine. It's a good article, everyone should read it. Hartley Peavey talks about his company and how they've always tried to make above average quality instruments for cheap prices.

I Love my Grind, I'm still grappling with whether I should really sell it or not.

Check this out, too: I'd love to own this one. Too bad I just bought a BTB. :crying:
    Anyone have experience with these? These older USA Peaveys seem to go for a really cheap price, I'm thinking about getting one eventually. This one looks especially sweet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-DYNA-BAS...7359924424QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Other Peavey fans post here!

2. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Peavey produce some of the most underrated basses out there. There are some superb values in used instruments. The one that you have highlighted seems to be a good example.

Cirrus and Milleniums are great too and the G-bass is a mini-Modulus!

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dyna-Bass line included many basses including the "unity" one in this Ebay add. They are with very few exceptions excellent instruments. I played the living hell out of a gray bolt-on 5 string Dyna-Bass in an 80s/90s hair band. That thing absolutely kicked butt and the neck was like buttah!

Look at the hardware in that acution! I had a custom built bass built a few years back, and I will tell you that Shaller hardware, the tuners and bridge - is very high quality stuff and not cheap! My Dyna-Bass 5 had the exact same EQ system as that bass has. Vol/Blend/Treb/Mid/Bass. The switch defeats the active EQ and allows you to run passive. In passive mode the active treble becomes tone (and the center detent loses meaning). Saved my ass on at least one dead battery gig.

They used to make everything even the cheapest stuff in the USA. I've got a $75 POS guitar practice amp called "Rage 108" that's made in USA. That's unheard of now, but it wasn't exactly common in the 80s and 90s either.

You can't go wrong with any made in USA Peavey bass IMO. Their guiitars are pretty fantastic also.

By the way my main bass in my current band "Not Dead Yet".... Peavay Palaedium.. :)

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I enjoy my Firebass, but they really need to offer more lefty basses.

6. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    How are the Foundations?

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Peavey definitely made some fine basses. Especially the USA upper end models. The build quality on my Millenium 4+ is as good or better than any production bass I've seen. Me likey.

[​IMG]

8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I love my Grind 4 NT. It's been 10x better with new strings and looks great too.

9. i played a grind NTB, and fell in love with it right away...i wish i would have bought it...one day i will! probably a sixer though...

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried out one grind NTB and it weighed a TON. I liked everything else about it but the excessive weight killed it for me.

11. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    My Cirrus 4 walnut w/ Bubinga top. 35" Scale and 24 frets. The electronics and playability of this bass is the best I have ever put in my hands. I dont know if I have a rare jewel or if they are all that nice. It just sings when it is played. I love it. Of course the Mesa 400+ on the other end doesnt hurt a thing.

Mike

12. When I first started playing bass I has GAS for a Forum, Forum AX or a Forum 5. They stopped making them before I could save enough money to buy one. I'd scoop one now if I could find a used one but no one seems to know much about them. No one even has a picture of them.

13. i guess i never noticed because i sat down when i played it! :)

14. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I love my early-90's Palaedium. I think I've now got the thinnest Graphite neck on the planet...

[​IMG]

Plays incredibly and the tone is definately Berlin-ish.

15. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    I'm just getting back into playing bass after 10 years and was looking at the Cirrus 5 string. I don't remember Peavey basses being as nice as the one I'm looking at! I think they are as good as some of the boutique ones.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to own a Peavey Cirrus 5, a USA Millenium Plus 4 J/MM, and a USA Millenium Plus 4 JJ. They were all top-notch basses. I regret getting rid of each of them. Stupid impulse trades on Warwicks and stuff. Which I also no longer own. :rolleyes:

17. Going back to decades ago, the T40 STILL sounds awesome vs. today's MM-type basses. Kinda wish someone would make a 5 string with the "dual humbucker variable polarity in tone dials" passive circuit. Super tone variations. Some of the best 'growl' I've ever heard.

18. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    The USA Millennium 4 J/MM is my main bass (even though I seem to have the only one that isn't a Plus model - it just a basic black with maple neck but then again - it goes with anything.)

It gets 90% of my playing time over a Fender Mustang reissue, SX Jazz and Vantage VS600B.

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I sat down also, and it just about cut off circulation to my right leg! :p

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I really dig my Fury VI, and my Bam 210 combo. Peavey makes great stuff.