Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey B Quad 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimmen, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Jimmen

Jimmen

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweden, Kiruna
    I'm thinking of buying one of those for $1100, but I've heard it's hard to play it if yer playing it as a belt and in line with the ground, like - and not /

So yea, is it a good deal and will it be comfortable ?

I'm buying it from a respectable net site. I've had really good service so far, but they are a 'few' miles away from me so I have no chance of testing it before I buy. :(

It's either that one or maybe a Cort Curbow 5 for about $620. (I live in sweden, that's why prices are a bit higher than in USA.. etc)

Please help me out on this.. can't wait to get rid of my current Eagle V 795 that is s-h-i-t-e all over.
    (get rid = trade it with them so I'll pay less)

So, which one should I buy ?
    Or should I go for something else ?

Here's a pic of the B Quad 5:
    [​IMG]

and the Curbow 5:
    [​IMG]

/Cheese - Jim

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The B-Quad and the Cort/Curbow are not in the same league. The Peavey is far superior! (and will cost you twice as much.) I have played both types of basses you're considering. The Peavey a couple of years ago, and the Cort/Curbow a couple of months ago. If your worried about balance, the B-Quad is more well balanced than the Cort/Curbow, and the Cort is hard to play while sitting because of the deep cut-away.

IMO, there is no competition between the two basses - it is a matter of how much you want to spend. Get the B-Quad! (The B-Quad looks cooler too :cool: )

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In spite of it's mostly plastic construction, I like the Cort Curbows.

However, Slater is right, the Curbow is not in the same league as a B Quad 5. Peavey gets dissed sometimes, but this is one of the finest basses they ever manufactured, as good as some basses listing for over $2000.00

I like the Curbow, but if I could afford the Peavey, it would be no contest, I would buy it.

4. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello there. I'm from Sweden too. I saw the B-quad at Jam.
    I was close to buying it too, but I'll wait to buy a bass until I get to the states (tomorrow). The B-quad is a very good bass (mycket bra) :) The cort isn't compareable to it.
    If it is the bass at Jam it is a b-quad 4 string not five.
    Good luck with your buy.
    PS if you're looking for a good versitale bass go to Estrad and try out the used fernandes APB-4 it's a killer bass and I own one myself. It lists 11000 kr ($1000) and the price is only 3900kr. IT'S A DAMN STEAL!

5. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Were can you get them????
    I cant find one anywere!!!

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The B-quads have been discontinued, though Knooren (I think) still produces all-wood basses with that body shape. You can find the Cort Curbows everywhere.

7. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you want this particular bass (as shown above in picture) check out http://www.jam.se. I think you can order by internet or mail from sweden.
    Later dude