Peavey B-Quad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Ruiz, Sep 23, 2002.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I was just wondering what the fellow TB'ers thought about the Peavey B-quad basses. A friend of mine has had one for a few years and it sounds pretty awesome! It is a fiver with the modulus made graphite neck. What really impresses (and boggles) me about this bass is that the B on it is the clearest I've ever heard or played! Even slightly clearer than my Modulus Q6! :eek: What do you guys think of them?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Great build quality - way bizzare body shape - bewildering electronics. I'm sure they're capable of great tone, and they are definitely well built, but when I was shopping for a new bass in the mid 90s I passed on the B-Quad in favor of the Palaedium.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    About five years ahead of its time. Now everyone offers a piezo bridge.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I had a BQ4 for a while. Very interesting bass. It was quite trustworthy, as far as the set-up went. Used it at some outdoor events, that Modulus neck wouldn't budge!

I enjoyed it, but ended up swapping it for an Alembic distillate, and am enjoying that even more.

The only thing I really remember about the BQ4 was that the bottom horn design was really painful if you tried to play it sitting down. Ouch!

Tone was nice, very versatile electronics...have you tried panning the piezo outputs? I used to run distortion on the D & G strings and send the E & A to a different amp. Lots o' possibilities...(except resale value, I guess)

5. mmm... I was at a Brian Bromberg clinic in 93 where he was playing the prototype he designed with Nylon strings and some new pickup design... It sounded awesome especially at the hands of such a virtuoso.
    He only played on a 4 string at the time...

i thought that it was nice looking... his was a really ugly turquise colour though...

never got a chance to play one... no real guitar shops in the okanagan valley here in BC.
  6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I've had a B-Quad 4 for about a year now. I really like it. I haven't found a more perfect neck for my hands yet. I have no real complaints about it. Living in the land of humidity, the graphite neck has been fantastic. I never thought I'd own a Peavey, but I was wrong. It looks just like the one in XUSH's pic.