Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey B-Quad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 15, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    For sure this bass was something unique. Not only cosmetic wise.

[​IMG]

I mean, 2 active PU, piezo, Modulus graphite neck make for a supermodern sounding bass. I have never tried one but always loved the look and the idea behind the instrument. Now i have scored one used as new for a GREAT price and i would love to hear from fellow TBers who played one.

How is this bass?

i have found some review on the web but not that much...

thanks so much.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried one out in the mid 90s. I found it to be an excellently made, great feeling, great playing, bizzare looking instrument with bewildering electronics.

I ended up buying a Palaedium.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Norm Stockton plays a fretless one, and it's incredible. You can hear it on his "groovinfor heaven" videos, and read about it on his website.
    normstockton.com Look under "bassic communication"

Great score, I'm Green with envy!

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to have a fretless just like the one in the pic. The electronics make it extremely versatile. I especially like the way you can pan out the strings across the stereo spectrum.

My only beef with that bass is that in sitting position, that lower horn digs into your leg bigtime.

Still, a great bass all around.

5. I tried one a couple months ago, and it was pretty much what you would expect it would be. It gets all sorts of different sounds. Some of them are excellent, others are a little harsh, but all of them are extremely modern sounding. I liked the way the bass sounded, but the one I played had strings that were on the stiff side.

I personally love how it looks. It's very unique without being in the least bit ugly.

6. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The B-Quad was the first expensive bass I ever bought myself (back in 1996). Also the last since I make my own now... The neck on mine developed an unfortunate backbow, however, and I don't play it as much although if I ever came across a B-Quad 5 I'd probably buy it. The tone isn't my thing anymore but I love the stereo feature for recording strange parts.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I had one for a while but never really used it much. Just never found my tone on it. I liked the neck in that it was very stable, but I ended up trading the bass for an Alembic.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
  9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I remember seeing those a while back; wonder if they're out yet.

No more swapping necks on the fly, huh?

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I had a B-Quad 5 string fretted. The one problem I had with it was that the piezo p/u's were really dodgy. 3 of the 5 saddles died on me and they were stupid-expensive to replace. Decent sounding instrument otherwise.

11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I had a B Quad 4 until a few months ago. I had to sell one of my basses to help pay for a custom I'm having made. Unfortunatley, the B Quad sold first. I loved the neck on that thing! It was the easiest/fastest neck of any I've ever owned. Plus it was super stable in this damn humid climate. I got some good sounds out of it, and really enjoyed owning that one. The only thing I can really complain about was the lower horn digging into my leg, like Blackbird mentioned. Enjoy your new bass and post some pic's when you get it!

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I had two of those, a 4 and a 5. The four ended up with the paint stripped off, frets yanked out, hardware replaced, and electronics gutted. Never could get the neck to stop diving on me though (doesn't help that I am skinny). Ultimately I found the necks too skinny and moved on to thicker necks.

The 5 was cool, but suffered from the weak Peavey B syndrome. It was really heavy, too. But hey, I got it for $100 bucks, so no complaints there. (Sold it for $800 btw!)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Frankenstein 4 string B Quad. Maybe somebody here would want to buy it as a beater/project?

13. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Just saw an ad from Norm Stockton at Bassgear selling his B Quad 5 fretless for $1,800. Anyone??:cool:

14. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Hey, why not dig up an old thread? This is the bass that I'm getting as we speak! Anyone have a fretted B-Quad 5 they want to let go? :)

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    You're getting Norm's bass, or one just like it?

16. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    I am getting Norm's bass! I have contacted Norm in order to verify! Here is the excerpt from the reply e-mail...

"Nice to hear from you and sorry to make this quick; I'm scrambling. Yes, I owned that B-Quad for approximately 6 years. It's a great bass (I used it to record the tapping flurry in my tune, "A Tender NAMM Moment"). I sold it because I hardly ever played it (I mostly play fretted, as well), and my primary fretless was an acoustic. I used GHS Super Steels. Hope things work out for you & the B-Quad - lemme know! FYI, I sold it in 2003 for $1800."

It is scheduled to show up tomorrow... :hyper: :) :bassist:

17. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    For seven years I have been at the Jan Knooren workshop and during that time we made a lovely orange Bass for Brian. He wanted a bass that would provide him that classic Jazz bass tone but with a little more "Oomph"

The Bass we built him has a set in neck; maple with Ebony fingerboard, 24 frets, alder with Japanese Tochi (a relative of the oak) top body, Passive Lane Poor Jazz bass pickups with Aguilar electronics.

Brian can be heard using that bass on several tracks on his "Jaco" album most notably on "Slang-ish" where he does a duet with himself using both his fretless Peavey B-quad and the Knooren. The sound difference between the two is striking: the B-quad sounds "Plastic-y" Not really a kind of sound I would go for myself.

My boss Jan Knooren himself, noted that the lower body horn hinders playing in the upper position. having played the bass myself prior to shipping it to Brian, I agree. So I asked Jan if he had spoken with Brian about that. Jan then claimed that Brian told him "That doesn't matter, I don't play at the upper position much anyway."