Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey B90 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OneWayPunk, Nov 14, 2005.

1. So I got this Peavey B-Ninety bass for free from a buddy.
    It's electronics are all messed up but thats an easy fix for me.
    My question to you guys is.

Does anyone have anything to say about this bass?
    Seems to be made in the USA, Passive PJ pickups (some were active I believe). Not too funny looking of a body shape, plays well unplugged and the neck is in great shape aside from some finger grunge.

I am just curious about this bass in general. When were they produced? Where did they sit in Peaveys product line? Higher end or lower end?

I would have to get a new pickup set to get this working again and I will just to have it around, but if this is a decent bass with good reviews I might just spend the money and put some Duncan 1/4 Pounders in or something a bit nicer than basic stock pickups.

Also, some dork relocated the jack from the edge of the bass to this hideous extended metal mount thats on the top of the bass through a new hole that this bozo drilled...ugh. It's right next to the tone knob and even if I were to put a jack on the front (like a fender jazz for example) I would not have it mounted on a metal ring sticking 1 inch out from the body of the bass. I am going to put the jack back where it belongs but I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about what to do with the empty hole on the front. I guess I could throw a mute switch in there or something...series parallel maybe but I dunno how well that works on a PJ configuration.

Anyway...just wondering if any of you had one of these and what your opinions are on it.

Thanks

2. Anyone???....

I have not been able to find out much of anything on this bass still.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Made (at least) in 1991 and 1992 in Meridian Mississippi.

"Dual cutaway electric bass featuring: tilted headstock, 34 inch scale, 21 frets, rosewood fingerboard (8" radius), bilaminated neck-1.6" wide at nut, mini style die-cast tuning machines, two humbucking split coil Alnico loaded pickups, scooped cutaway design, black hardware."

Color choices included: Pearl White, Gloss Black, Sunfire Red, Charcoal Gray, '62 Blue or Raspberry Pearl.

This bass was slotted above the Foundation Series and below the Dyna Bass series. List price was $499.99 without case.

As a lover of Peavey basses, I played one of these and felt it was a good bass. I prefered Peavey's "Super Ferrite" single coil pickups of that period to the humbuckers of the same period. If the pickups are the same ones as used in the B-Ninety Active and Dyna Bass Unity series, they are made by Schaller in Germany and are actually a good set of pickups.

I love Peavey necks! The seven that I have had (still have five) have all been free of the typical 'dead spot' on the neck that I have had with a lot of other 'affordable' basses. I have small hands and find the necks to be very comfortable. The necks have proven to be extremely stable...once they take a 'set' they'll stay that way for a very long time. Peavey revolutionized guitar making with their CNC approach. You will find that their instruments have much better fit at the neck pocket than just about any other production instrument of the period. They also have an easy tilt adjustment on the neck that allows you to tilt the neck using an allen wrench as opposed to adding shim stock under the neck.

Put some new pickups in that puppy and enjoy!

Hope this provides you with some insight.

Kim