Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey BAM 210 vs. Carvin BRX 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S Lewis, Sep 16, 2005.

1. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Right now, I'm planning on updating my current rig ( an Acoustic 140 into a 4 ohm Avatar B210 Delta) and I've been struck with the the semi-portability of certain combos. So far, I've narrowed it down to the Peavey and the Carvin.

Peavey BAM

Carvin BRX 212

With whichever combo i get, i plan on augmenting it with and Avatar B212 Neo (4 ohm) cab, but therein lies the problem....which would be the better combo for me? I can get the BAM for a slight bit more than the Carvin, but price is not an extreme issue right now...but im trying to keep the total cost of the amp under $1000 dollars (not including the Avatar B212).

I play a 1985 Peavey T-40, and I tend to play alot of modern rock, some fusion, jazz, and hip-hop and R+B.

help? :confused:

2. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I don't mean to complicate things but have you looked at the GK 210 Backline Combo?

3. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    indeed i have, and i took that out of the running

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I can't give you a full answer, as I have never played the Carvin. I do own a Bam, however, and I love it. I've been saying for months that I"m going to add a 1x12, but haven't yet, and it's still performed admirably. There's a _lot_ of power in that amp, and I think it should be pretty frightening with more air moving from an extension speaker.

Kinda heavy, though.

5. It is a peavey tho, they tend to make things that are built like tanks and weight likewise :)

6. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    For some reason, I missed the part of your first post that said you would be augmenting it with a 4 ohm cab, in this case I would have removed it from the running too.

I did a bunch of looking at these also when I bought my GK backline 210.
    As far as price and portability goes, I think the Carvin beats out the Peavey.
    I almost went with the Carvin mainly for the portability, plus I read some reviews that the tone was really good. I also read reviews on the Peavey and a lot of them were fairly negative in the area of the amp modeling.

7. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    but would the Carvin be flexible enough to handle my genre-spanning repertoire?

8. jekie

jekie

Aug 11, 2005
    baton rouge
    i own both peavey and carvin products; however i love peavey. Neither of then have failed to serve me well but when quality is in question i feel you can not go wrong with peavey products. just my P.O.V.

9. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    +1 on peavey quality

my T-40 is older than me and still kicking :bassist:

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Anyone playing a Peavey T-40 doesn't care about weight! :D

11. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Definately, Peavey has the quality thing down.
    Come to think of It I used to have a Carvin Redline head and it died after about 6 mo. Problem with the way they attached the speaker outputs directly to a PC board.
    Also switching over to the Carvin message board, it now looks like people are having more problems with the quality; amps being received not working and noisy output.

I've always been a firm believer that you need to actually try an amp first with a given instrument before you can say it's for you or not even though I have gone the route of the blind mail order before.
    I'm glad I didn't go with the Carvin after reading what I have just been reading.

12. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    well, i've actually played the BAM in question and it's in bassically new condition

13. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Possibly the safest bet then.
    Especially give the diverse styles you play.
    Plus it is footswitchable which is a nice feature.

Anybody here have the Carvin in question or played one?

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I haven't played that combo (they didn't have them in stock last time I was in CA). But I've played, and own, the B1500 head, which is the sibling of the head in that combo, as well as the standalone BRX cabs. The B/BRX series is good stuff IMO; I really like my B1500--it sounds good and is very built AFAICS. Can't really say how it compares to the BAM, as I haven't done a direct A/B, but from what I hear from people who have the BRX212, this new combo is likely to be pretty good. The design looks more easily transportable than the BAM to me, for what that's worth.

As for worries about reliability, I talk to a lot of Carvin users, and I think the concerns about the amps, though not totally invalid, have been somewhat exaggerated. In any case, the complaints I've seen have referred only to the RedLines, not to the B/BRX series (yet, anyway). To me, the B stuff is a different and better kettle of fish.

And I wouldn't say Peavey has the quality thing nailed, exactly; Ii've been around long enough to see issues with some of their gear too. It's not that the quality isn't good, because it is; but they have their share of problems as well.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Probably not as flexible as the Peavey with all of its new-fangled amp models and effects and such. I think the floorboard controller alone would make it worth your while. Old-school Ampeg flip-top one song, and the a hi-fi SWR Redhead the next at the tap of a foot.

16. My friend owns a Peavey BAM and I own an Eden Metro. While, I love my Metro, I was amazed at the versatility of the BAM. With the BAM, I could almost perfectly nail the tone I got out of my Metro (that I love), but at the flip of a switch, I could go straight to hi-fi SWR Redhead. Frankly, it had a better hi-fi sound than the Redhead did. It was just as bright, but smoother and less brittle. I haven't played the Carvin, but go for the Peavey. I'm sure you'll love it. It is insanely heavy, though.

Of course, the BAM also gets some crazy cool sounds which, useful or not, are a TON of fun to play with. Chorus, flanger, SYNTH, and the octave, to name a few.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a former Eden Metro owner. Mine was stolen.:(

When I got the insurance money, I replaced it with a BAM.

Why? It gets the Metro tone. It also nails the Super Redhead tone. And does a fair simulation of GK, Ampeg, and Acoustic amps and cabs too.

And I like the BAM 'model'(the stock tone) even better than the models.

Plus, it is louder than my Metro was, and handles the low B much better.

18. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    looks like it's gonna be the BAM for me :)

i'll be sure to post a full review after i scrounge up the funds :cool:

19. That's one thing my friend (who owns the BAM) and I were amazed at: the stock tone is great. No modelling needed, really. It handles the low B better than any 2x10 combo I've heard. I'm pretty sure that the louder part is due to the 2x10 being a 4-ohm cab, but why it is notwithstanding, it's still louder.

Also, sorry to hear your Metro was stolen, though you seem to have gotten a fine replacement.

20. One of the things that amaze me about the BAMs is how they get offered up for so little money on the used market. I see them all the time at killer prices for such an incredible amp. Good luck getting the funds then getting a great amp.