Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Bam 210. What extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Jun 5, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    What extension cabinets are you Bam owners using and why?

I want to add a 15" cab, but want to have the same tonal qualities of the Bam's 2x10s.

By itself, this combo kicks ass @ 375 watts (4 Ohm). Going 500 watts (2 Ohm) with an extension would be awesome.

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    personally i would go for a 1x15 to add a little more bottom end, but if you like the tone of your 2x10, why not buy another Peavey 2x10 pro cab. In my opinion Peavey amps work better with Peavey cabs

3. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I use a Peavey Black Widow 1x18 that I've played in another rig forever, and the combination gives me ALL the low end I need, not to mention volume and clarity. I just don't do that very often because 1) I got the Bam 210 for portability, and 2)I'm usually in the PA and am using the Bam as a stage monitor. Outdoors, the 18 comes out of storage!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Are you looking for more volume, or low end?

Personally, when I add a 115 to my Metro combo, it sounds amazing. Adding a 210 sounds amazing as well. The 210 makes it louder than the 115 though.

Remember to add an 8ohm cab if you go 115. Throwing in a 4ohm 115 will cause alot of the power to run through the 115 first.

-Mike

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I want both, even though the 2x10s put out a good amount of volume and a ton of bottom.

I want to make sure the extension cab's tone matches the Bam's tone. If that makes sense. I think the Bam has a distinct sound, and I don't want an extension cab to mask the 2x10s tone.

When I switch between different presets and effects, I want to hear what I normally would with the Bam's 2x10.

I am thinking a cab without a tweeter might be a good way to go.

Perhaps a Bag End D10B-D, which handles 400 watts and is 4 Ohms.

I worry about running a mismatched load with any head.

Why would most of the power be directed to a 4 Ohm 1x15?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Electricity follows the path of least resistance. 4ohms = less resistance than 8ohms. I am assuming you understand ohms, impedance, and resistance. I learned this the hard way when I added a 4ohm 215 to my 8ohm Metro. The bulk of the sound/power went to the 215 first. My Metro was still pumping out the sound, but it was playing second fiddle to the 215.

BTW....even though I am an Eden guy, that Bag End cab would be a most excellent choice.

-Mike

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    If the 2x10s in the Bam are 4 Ohms, wouldn't a 1x15 4 Ohm cab get the same amount of juice?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes sir. My mistake, I thought the BAM was 8ohm. I'm sorry.

-Mike

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's OK, I did not mention the Ohms in my original post.

I just fixed it.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Right on bro. Yeah, you're right about adding that cab. 500 watts from that BAM will be awesome.

On one occasion, I added two 8ohm cabs to my Mtero. 600 watts of Eden tone blasting away on stage was a thing of audible beauty. I added a 115XLT, and a 410XLT. You'll love it once you get your rig all squared away. The BAM is awesome.

-Mike