Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey bam 2x10 combo VS yorkville xs400t VS super redhead VS eden metro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 8, 2004.

1. i will eventually have around 1,000 dollars to work with (my band is finally starting to make some good money) and i am thinking of getting one of these 2x10 combos they are all around 1,000 dollars plus or minus. the peavey is spost to be teh loudest teh yorkie is the cheapest the redhead is spost to have great tone and the eden dosnt have teh greatest reviews. i am in a pretty loud blues/rock/funk band the guitarest is susing a fender 50watt all tube amp and the drummer is very loud. my guitarest is thinking about getting a 100watt plexi reissue halfstack so i have to be prepared. what combo do you think is the best one?

2. I heard the edens are unreliable on here somewhere by a few people:S But I really think the best way to go is the super redhead, doesn't get any sweeter than that, especially if you add a cab.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Man...I have an Eden Metro, and I have ZERO complaints about it. Always reliable for me. I suppose all you can go on are reviews, but the negative ones aren't telling the true story. This combo kicks major booty.

Here is an example.....You run that Metro with a 115, or a 410 and it is freakin' loud! On one occasion shortly after I acquired mine, I added a 410XLT, and a 115XLT to it for a barn gig. It was as loud as anything I have heard short of a national touring stadium act....serious. Not only loud, but sounded absolutely amazing. Now back to the real world......

Get the Metro. There seems to be some kind of aversion to them right now, so they are less expensive than the past. Of course, the BAM is a worthy contender. The Peavey, and the Metro are both better than the SWR.

-Mike

4. If the metros arent like those people said then I'de go by price of a swr vs eden, and choose the cheapest. Glad I learnt different on eden cause I wanted the metro haha.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So, what did you end up buying Todd? The SWR?

-Mike

6. No the used SWR that was in the pawn shop near here was overpriced, I was trying to haggle it until I noticed it wasn't even a super redhead, it was an original and I gave up haha. I've been just taking my time reading a ton of information lately on everything, and wondering what my amp is eventually going to be.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For sheer volume, from the combo itself, the BAM is the way to go. It is louder than the Eden, and to my ears, sounds better too.

The Eden is also pretty darned loud.

I really like the way the Super Redhead sounds, but it is not loud enough, by itself, unless it is a quiet gig, or you have PA support. The Super Redhead really comes alive when you pair it with a 4x10, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a big combo.

Of course, if you need more volume, the BAM and Metro, when paired with a 4 ohm 4x10 are a lot louder than the SWR paired with a 4x10.

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    um...having played all of those amps except the Peavey, I'd say that the Yorkville is indeed the "loudest" of them.

My experience with Peavey has been that they're nice and loud, but lacking in tone.

So my advice is...seriously consider the XS400T...sounds good on it's on, and if you need more oomph, and XC210, XC115X or XC410 will do the trick as an ext. cab.

9. Keep em coming for this guy people. I've been wondering the same question for a long time.

10. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    The same here applies for myself. I played the 210 XS400 and it was massive sounding for its size. They are heavy. I owned a Super Redhead and as it sounded nice, it was not loud enough and I could never get the lows I wanted out of it without an extension cab.

The Metro, well that thing just rocks with a built in 210XLT. Definately don't discount the Yorkville/Traynor combo. That thing had more lows than I have ever heard out of a 210 and was indeed quite loud. I also dig the footswitchable efx loop. How cool !!

11. What about the Ampeg BA-500? (I was planning on buying one myself until I realised they're too expensive over here.)

12. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I have a Super Redhead and you will need an extension cabinent with it. I blew the speakers in mine before I bought the 18 to go with it. It does sound great though. When it was getting repaired, I had to rent a Yorkie 15 combo. It really sounded good and was quite loud.

13. was it called the xm200 or the xs400? how much watts did it have?

14. two things:

[1] i'm really tired of all the folks parrotting "peavey is loud, but bad tone" garbage. i've never had any problems getting good tones out of peavey gear (in fact, i would rather own peavey than SWR or ampeg, since i find it less colored and more versatile than either). perhaps the deficiency in tone is due more to a deficiency in understanding of how to operate an amp that doesn't have a "characteristic" tone.

[2] the BAM is not like an average combo -- it is a modelling amp. it does not sound like an average peavey combo because it's designed to sound like a lot of different bass amps. it's not quite the same animal as the other three options. so even if you're not into the peavey sound, you may still be interested in the BAM because it has so many different tones.

this isn't meant as much to promote the BAM as it is to increase the understanding of the different options.

robb.

15. If the Yorkville is the cheapest, then you might have enough money to buy an extension cab like the 1X15 that goes great along with it.

If you went the Peavey route, then you'd need a 4ohm cab to take advantage of the full power of the amp. This can be good and bad. Good because the Peavey Amplifier can go down to a 2ohm load (I believe the Yorky is only 4ohm), but this could be bad if you're trying to find a 4ohm 1x15 like another TBer is trying to do.

Also, if you but new, the 2 year unlimited "even if you break it" warranty is tough to beat.

Just some points.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Dude, I think the important part of my post that you missed is "in my experience." I felt the same way about the old BM Yorkville bass amps, if you do a search, you'll likely see that I've made that comment in the past.

IMHO, every amp/cabinet manufacturer has their own signature tone or tries to copy one. Peavey is no exception...just IMO, it's hard to get one out of it. I found the same thing with their keyboard amps as well. I haven't tried the BAM, so I can't say, and I'm not a fan of modelling amps anyway.

My comment wasn't garbage, it was my opinion, plain and simple. I understand you may be frustrated as it seems to be the prevailing opinion, which seems to contradict yours, but that's just plain rude to refer to a conflicting opinion as "garbage". Everyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion, and we're supposed to respect the rights of others to have their opinion, even if we disagree.

17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Those are all great combos. If your absolutely set on a combo, I'd look at it this way: I have 1 rule when I invest in gear.
    Quality over quantity.
    I have one philosophy.
    Tone is in the hands.
    With this in mind, my recommendation is to get the Yorkie -because it's just as good as the rest of 'em, and due to it's low cost, you can invest in an SWR Goliath to go along with her(a very efficient cab, by the way). That would give you the very best of both worlds. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RAWK!!! :bassist:

18. i dont exactly want a combo and a extension, i want a combo beacuse it is only one thing i have to worry about. plus it saves alot of room, they might be heavey but im young and can handle weight. i want a good combo that can handle small medium and large gigs. embellisher owns this amp and says it has a better tone than the eden it is louder and it is just better. if the amp has a hard time handleing loud outdoor gigs (which embellisher says it dosnt) i would probably just get a ectension cab, i just wouldnt want to use it all the time.

19. I got news for you. There are very few combos out there, if any, that will be able to handle large gigs. If anything, aim to be able to play anything from a small cafe to a medium sized hall when your looking into purchasing a combo. If you like your combo, but dont have enough volume, I say these five words: INVEST IN A PA SYSTEM. if you really want to be able to play those types of venues, and you don't want to deal with your band being able to carry out to a crowd, that's what you do.

20. let me tell you something, everybody says that you usually need atleast 300 watts for a outdoor gig without pa my behringer head is 300 watts but my cab is 8 ohms! i am only pushing about 165 watts trhough the cab and i am putting my volume at half way, this works great for outdoor gigs without pa system! and my band isnt a quit band. if the pv bam is 350 watts alone and embellisher says it woudl do fine at an outdoor gig i think it could handle a outdoor gig!