Peavey BAM head/Acoustic 360

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 3, 2003.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I just tried a Peavey BAM combo at the store and I really like the sound of the Acoustic 360 preset and I was wondering if this was an accurate emulation of the amp. I didn't like any of the others and if it really does sound like it I think I might track one of these heads down.
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Come on guys I know some of you have played both. :bassist:
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I haven't played on the BAM, but I used to own a 360. First, the head on the 360 amp is a preamp only. The power amp was built into a reverse loaded 1-18 folded horn cabinet. Getting 2-10s to sound exactly like 1-18 might be possible, but I have my doubts. You might want to search around and find a 370 head to try out. There are still a lot of these amps around.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO the magic of the Acoustic 360 isn't the electronics, it's the folded 18" cab which moves LOTS of air. The 360 preamp had quite a few knobs and settings, but it wasn't versatile simply because that cabinet imparts its own tone. So while amp modeling might put you in the ballpark, I don't think it would be fair to say that it's accurate.

That said, "ballpark" isn't necessarily better or worse, it is what it is. If you got a chance to A/B them, it could well be that you'd prefer your rig's 360 imitation to the venerable 360 itself.