Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey BAM head +/- peavey cab(s)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Mar 10, 2002.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Has anyone tried the BAM head out, with or without the new Peavey cabs?

I'm interested in hearing how it sounds in comparison to the BAM combo.

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    They don't have them where I live yet. I know the new cabs are a little different than the BAM cab, but i'd imagine it would sound similar.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    That's what I'm guessing.

I'm just wondering if it sounds any different than with the BAM 210, and if it does, how significant the difference is?

The thing is, I'm thinking about getting a BAM head, and a new Pro 410 cab, in exchange for my entire rig, and maybe a bit of $$$, or something like that.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I know that the new pro series has alot higher SPL than the combo, so it will be alot louder.

Someone posted a review of the pro 4x10 awhile back. They said they liked it.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Was the review in the forums, on the "review" section, or harmony central?

I know that the Pro 410 would have a higher SPL than the 210, I'm just curious about the tone.

The thing holding me back from betting it is the concern with the tone. I really like the BAM 210, but don't feel as if 350 watts out of a 2x10 will get me loud enough. I think 350 in a 4x10 should offer enough SPL and wattage to get me where I'll have enough power.

Thanks for the help, though. :)

6. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    I used the Bam last weekend on a smallish club gig (about 200 people). I put the Bam on the back corner of the stage (took off the back casters) and never got the master above 3. The bass was not in the pa, and it filled the room just fine. It seemed a little loud onstage to me, but I had to turn it up a little to get the bass in the room. I had the compressor on, about halfway up. I probably could have turned it up to 4 or so, but I couldn't stand any more stage volume.

I play in a blues band, and our stage volume is not that loud. We use small combos (guitar, bass, harp) and our drummer has style.
    If you are in a loud rock band (I have been), then sure you need more power. I can't imagine needing more than the Bam with a 210 added on, but I can't speak for anyone else.

I tried the Bam with a Pro 410, and it wasn't a particularly good match IMO. The Pro 410 is 8 ohm nominal, so the Bam speakers kind of overpowered the 410.
    I recommend the Pro 210. It worked better, since it was 4 ohms, and sounded great. With a 210 added, the total output is 500 watts. That should cover most any club stage, unless you have a couple of 100 w stacks to compete with. Even then it should hold it's own pretty well.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think CE is talking about getting the Bam head, and 4x10, in which case the 8 ohm wouldn't be a problem.

The review was just a message someone posted on the amp forum.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I'm curious about the BAM head + Pro 410.
    I play in a rock-type situations, and the majority of the playing I do is in my basement, which is small (cymbals echo loud), and I would need a decent amount of power.

I like the way the BAM 210 combo sounds, but it just doesn't seem practical for me. I have currently have a Firebass II 700 head, 410TXF cab, and 115BXBW cab, which I never need to push above 3-4. I wouldn't be worried about pushing an amp up to 4-5 or so, but I really don't want to have to press the amp.

I have a feeling the BAM 210 wouldn't get loud enough for me, so goes my question... I pretty much want a BAM 210 tone, but with the extra volume provided by the 410. :)

9. It'd be a hell of a lot more portable, thats for sure. wish my Combo 115 had been a head and separate cab for the same $$$.

I like Peavey stuff. It's chunky and kills Marshall half stacks.

10. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    I haven't tried the Bam head. I guess I need to rig my Bam up so I can bypass the internal speakers.

I have tried the Pro 410 with my Firebass, and it kicked. I imagine it would work great with a Bam head. The only drawback is the impedance. The Bam will only do about 200 watts or so into an 8 ohm load.
    I thought of that rig myself (Bam/410), but after the way the combo has been performing for me, I might change my mind and just stick with it. I might add a 210 for the bigger stages or outside gigs.

11. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think a BAM 210 and extension cab would be plenty loud for most situations.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, Chris... I was thinking that as well, but I to my knowledge the Pro cabs aren't the same as the Peavey Pro series, are they?

At any rate, I think the 200 watts into the Pro 410 should be even louder, considering there's twice the speaker volume, which should offer a higher db rating anyway. I was considering eventually adding a Pro 115, too.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Peavey BAM head, or just the Peavey BAM with a 410TXF or 410TVX?

If it works well with the TXF/TVX series, then I won't even have to buy new cabs. :)

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    durr, I meant the pro series aren't the same as the cab/speakers in the BAM combo.

Anyway *bump*

14. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I personally think that one of the biggest reasons the bam sounds so good is the speakers. I've owned a 4x10TXF, and it is good, but can't even touch the Bam in my opinion.

Btw my local dealer just got a pro 4x10. I'm not going to buy it since I want a 2x10, or 2x12 but I'll go play with it tommorow and post a review.

If I feel REALLY nice maybe I'll run the preamp out of my bam into a power amp into the 4x10 and see how close it compares for you.;)

Also if anyone is interested, Brook Mays in Colombia, MO has a new Bam for $999! That is an awesome deal!!! I payed way more for mine!:(