Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Basic 112 trade in value?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megiddo, Sep 21, 2003.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm going to trade in my Peavey Basic 112 for a Ampeg B110R at GC in Houston. I know it won't be an even trade but what could I expect to get for my Peavey and how much cash would I need to come up with? Also, knowing Guitar Center, what's about the best deal I could hope for? I hate horse trading and nearly always get hosed, but with your help I can go in armed with a little knowledge and at least get a fair deal. :D

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Try comparing prices around online and go in with the ad from another vendor. The vendor doesn't neccessarily have to be reliable. Hell, that's part of the good in it. Give a price from a hideous vendor that doesn't have good service but has an excellent price to a vendor that will price-match and has good service.

This'll help you some-what even out your pricing.

Note though: In trading, you'll always get screwed over. The store you're trading to needs to make their cut, plus they're not going to pay top-buck for things.

Right now, I'm in the process of trading in a cabinet, head and bass.

My cab's the Peavey 410TXF, my head's the Peavey Firebass II 700, my bass being an Ibanez SR800LE.

Ideally, I'd like to get $600 for all, at least. That's rounding everything to about $200.

That still puts me at owing about $200 for the head I want (GK 800RB).

Remember though, if going by the blue-book prices, you're going to probably get bottom dollar. I've done a lot of trades and only still do them because I find the alternatives to be a complete hassle.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been tracking ebay used sale prices for a couple of months now, on some specific combos & heads that are of interest to me.

No Peavey product is on my list, but this practice HAS taught me 1 thing. If you're selling an amp on ebay, you can guarantee you'll only get 50% to 60% of what the "new" price on the average web retail gives...

Peavey Basic 112's sell for $289.99, brand new at Musicians Friend. That means you should HOPE to get around 60% of that, if you sold it on ebay.

I guarantee you won't even get THAT much, if you just trade it in to GC. That said, if you're wanting to buy a new Ampeg B100R, you're not even close to covering the cost of the amp you're trying for.

4. Sell it outright if you want to get the most money out of it. Trading means somebody else (who doesn't work for free) gets involved. You'll probably get $100 - $150 for the Peavey.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    As a general rule the store will give you approximately half of what they can sell it for. If a Basic 112 is selling for 150.00 or so used on the used market, then I imagine that they will come at you with an offer of 75.00 or so.

If you can, do what everyone else has said and try to sell it yourself. You'll be much better off if you do.

6. Used gear brings 66% of new-discount price on eBay. This is a rule of thumb I've noticed that holds true for many (not all) purchases.

A store is going to make 100% on your equipment, so they will give you 33% of new-discount price (or less), then resell it for 66% or higher.

Sell it privately and you will do much better. Stores operate on GAS'ers, and make their money from them.

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hope I don't totally depress you but... i've got one that i've tried to get rid of @ 2 different places. One was GC and the other was a small local store. GC offered me $50. The other offered me $50 but said I could maybe make $75 on consignment. I still have it. It's in great shape, they just don't hold their value well. I'm actually thinking of giving it away as it's now being used for a table between my recliners:eek:

8. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for all the input. Ya'll were exactly right. I went to GC today and they offered me $50 - $75. I'll be keeping it. It's not a bad amp, just wish it was louder. I checked out the Ampeg B100R, it's a really sweet amp. The salesman showed me the new Mesa combo. WOW!!! I'll be saving my pennies and when I have enough for the Ampeg I may just keep saving and pick up the Mesa. I cost twice what the Ampeg costs but good things come to those who wait! :cool: