Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Basic 112 , yeah i know it sucks kinda

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JWC, May 24, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    All I have now in my rig set up is a Peavey Basic 112. How should I do the settings up top (mids, highs, lows). It sounds like absolute hell. I can hear my fingers going up and down the strings. When I hit a string hard, it sounds like distorted crap. What can i do?

2. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    try the treble and mid at about 10 oclock
    the bass about1 oclock and the tone on your bass
    half way...that worked for me..maybe a little muddy
    but you can fine tune from there..good luck

3. Well, first of all, don't boost your EQ all the way up. And don't crank the gain all the way up. If you have an active bass, press the -10dB button, that's what it's for. And I like to keep the 'bright' switch in on mine.

I use a seperate preamp now but I think I know what I'm talking about.

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Hate to sound dumb, but what does active mean?? Also another problem I notice is toward the 10th fret and onwards, D and G strings, some notes do not get picked up at all.

5. Pau

Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    active means your bass have an on board preamp.
    Usually, in guitars the sound is taken by the p/u 's then pramplified by an external preamp then it get's some power through the power amplifier.
    In basses you' ve got the passive ones wich works like this and the active ones.
    The on board preamplifier works quite like an external one and it alows you to cut or boost some frequencies (EQ) while with a passive bass you can only cut them.
    The problem is that the outpout level of active basses is significantly higher than passive's so when the audio signal is preamplified again it can distort.
    That's why some amps have 2 inputs one for passive another for active.
    The peavey's usually only have one input but they have a switch to make "less sensible" this input when you plug an active bass.

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    How can I tell if mine is active then? its a Fender P.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if it's a fender P with just the P pickup, it is passive.

if it's got more than 2 knobs, it's active.

you're probably just trying to play it too loud. a peavey 112 will only go so loud, make sure you start it really quiet - gain down - and turn it up.

and if you can hear your hand on the frets and dont want that cut the treble until you can't.

jason

8. JWC, how could you possibly hang out on this board for as long as you have and not know what active means?

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I am not sure how I managed to miss out on active and passive Dance Hall.....

hmmmm.....

Anyway, can you make it active if its passive?

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Too much time in off topic (like me:p)

YES, you can make it active if it's passive, but it will require lots of work. I'm not sure exactly what the process is, but I know that you would have to route a hole in the back of your bass large enough for a pre-amp, then drill holes for the new knobs, etc., and re-wire it. And since you didn't even know what it meant, I wouldn't advise trying;)

11. too much work, if you want it to sound active get a sansamp BDDI or something.

12. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I own a peavey TNT 115 (the next model bigger that yours i think) and it has the same probs. When you turn the bass up to counteract the finger noise, Its boomy, and when you turn the treble up to counteract the muddy low end, you get finger noise!!! From what I understand this is stock peavey tone, so my advice is eq-flat, treb-6, bass-6, and adjust from there. When you are playing with a band you can't really hear finger noise so get it sounding like you want it while playing and keep it there.

13. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Or, take the correct approach and practice until you don't have finger noise!