Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Basic 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joon, Mar 27, 2002.

1. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    I'm currently looking for a practice amp that can handle jam sessions with my band (place of jam: living room). One band I'm in plays indie rock, and the other does funk/jazz/jam.

So far, the cheapest decent amp available here locally is the Peavey Basic 112 (price: around US$260). I was wondering if this amp can handle the settings mentioned above, and if the sound is great enough, tone-wise.

Other amps I'm contemplating to get:

Hartke Kickback 12 Combo (around US$510). I know it's a lot more expensive, but it surely does sound better. But question is, is the better sound quality a worthy trade-off for the extra cost?

Peavey TKO 115S (around US$440). Better than the Hartke?

Peavey TNT 115BW (around US$560). I've read reviews that it's way better than the TKOs, but what about compared to the Hartke?

I'm not really looking for so much power in my amp, just that the sound, while producing a good tone, doesn't distort at a volume that's loud enough for the settings above.

Thanks in advance!

2. pokey

pokey

Mar 9, 2002
    I like Peavey, but tried the Basic112 and didn't like it at all. If you play with a drummer, the Basic112 will not be heard.

My choice of these amps would be the TNT. It is the bigger brother to the TKO, which I own and like. The BW speaker has a good reputation, you'll have enough power (150W), and a 15" to move air. Also, the TNT has alot more adjustments (EQ, etc.) so you can dial in what you need/like. The new TNT with a Blue Marvel? speaker has an external speaker jack so you can add an external cab for 200W. Dealers near me list the TNT for $480. Thats list minus 20%, the standard discount for Peavey.

The only advantage the Hartke has is it's weight. The TNT is 80 pounds. My TKO is 70 pounds and is too heavy to carry very far so I bought a $15 foldable luggage 'dolly' and move mine with it.

Oops, you said practice amp. I use an Ampeg BA112. It's only 50W and does not work with a drummer, but it sounds good and is quite portable ~45 pounds. I still don't like the Basic112. Every Peavey dealer I've worked with sill offer 20% off of list prices, shop around or offer 80% of list.

Another point, you will need to check on this, but I believe that Peavey will warranty the TNT or TKO for 5 years if you register your product with them. Not sure about Hartke. Something to consider.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    IMHO those peavey combos are too big and heavy for the amount of volume they produce. i have a TKO, and i hate it.

for small combos, i like the Hartke 1415 the best i think. it's the same speaker as the kickback 15, in a non kickback box, with 160 watts and more EQ, and it's cheaper than the kickback. i play with the kickback alot - and it kills for volume and low B projection.

if you're going to use it for rehearsals and little gigs and you have your REAL amp for real gigs, i don't feel the tone (unless it's unbearable) is much of an issue when it comes to combos like this. portability and volume man....

check out the carvin combos, the ashdown electric blue combos...used SWR workingman 15's go for under $500 too so maybe check that out.

jason

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have a Basic 112, I play with a full band and I can still be heard! (as long as noone turns theirs up too loud, lol). Pretty soon I want to get an Express 112, they look nice and I like the way they sound - louder than a Basic 112 yet not to loud to use as a small pratice amp at 2 in the morning....

5. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hi WarwickS. As much as I'd like the better amps you mentioned that's below $500, I'm really limited to the products I mentioned. There's practically just 1 music store where I am (the Philippines) which sells decent amps, and those are the only selections they have. So if you have to select which one of them, what would you choose?

As of now, I'm not actually thinking of lugging my amp around on gigs since the venues usually have decent enough amps, so for now my main purpose is to use it at home on jams.

pokey, I play with a drummer, plus two other guitarists, but their amps are just around 30W each (still loud as hell, compared with a 30W bass amp). And since the TKO is much cheaper than the TNT, do you think the TKO's a good buy? What about the Hartke?

Thanks for your inputs, everyone :)

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I like my Hartke Kickback 12, I've had it for a year and it's great for rehearsal and is well suited for playing rock in smaller venues, even works pretty well outdoors. In a bigger venue you can use it as a monitor and use the XLR into the PA.

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Get a Carvin PB200-15, it's 160 watts and works well for jamming with friends it might even handle gigs. It runs around $400, sounds great and you can buy it online from www.carvin.com

8. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Its not a bad sounding amp, but the volume just isn't there. Its pretty portable(the only reason i still have it) but anything louder than coffee shop gigs will be too much.

9. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77 Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Portland, OR
  10. I think now that 12 years has passed since this thread was started, the original poster has probably purchased the amp of choice...