Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SUNBURST, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Worth getting, well made, durable & reliable

306 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. Forget it, go with another brand

73 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    Peavey Bass Amps Opinion

1. Great product, worth the money spent, durable and well made.

2. Forget it, not worth the money, look for something else.

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had a labk widow cabinet form back in the day that sucked, and a 4X10 from not so far back that rocked.

I go to this music store from time to time, and whenever I plug in, I plug through the firebass head. That is a nice piece of work.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The combos are well made and quite loud, though not exactly portable.

I'm not quite so taken with their heads, but I've had more limited experience with them.

4. I have a FireBass II. Wow. LOUD! I have dropped it, punched it etc. and it still works brilliantly. Lous as hell.

5. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    The Peavey gear I've used has always been durable and reliable. I found them to be loud but somewhat toneless and lacking in any sort of character. If you want loud, get a Peavey. If you want tone, search elsewhere...IMHO (disclaimer)

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Dude, when you can go loud, who needs tone? :D

I voted for yay. Peavey is the best friend of working (or studying) bassist!

7. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I just KNEW someone would say that!:D

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I can only speak for my Peavey TNT 130.

Good: Lasts forever
    Bad: Lasts forever. The tone sucks, but as long as it works, I can't justify buying a new combo.

9. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've got a small 35 watt peavey amp, and it sounds pretty damn good for a 35 watt amp [​IMG]

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've got a FireBass II and a 115BXBW. They've both served me well over the years and show no signs of slowing.

I'm not crazy about the tone I get with my FireBass, but I think it's more the bass than the amp. If I could afford something more "professional," I'd buy something more professional, but generally speaking, Peavey's good gear for a good price.

11. I have owned a firebass700 for almost 3 years and have abused it the whole time. It is a very loud with plenty of power. From my experience These amps are extremely reliable and durable due to their rugged construction. Mine weighs about 50 goddamn pounds. Thats one of the cons of this bass. Another is that its only solid state which sounds a little sterile compared to tubes. However thats the trade off for the reliability this amp provides. No problems with replacing tubes or anything like that. Boosting the contour control helps warm the sound up though. Bottom line, alot of power for the money.

12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Peavey makes good gear IMHO. I have always used Peavey Amps since I play Bass and also for guitar amps.
    I had the Basic 40, TNT 115 and now I have a T-MAX head with a 210 TXF and a 115 Black widow.
    One thing to remember about Peavey: it will not let you down. Durable, reliable and great tone, all of that in relation to a great price !!!

13. Lessee here. I have owned a slew of Peavey stuff: Basic 50 (1986), TKO-80, TNT-160, Alphabass, Bassist preamp w/CS-800, Several 410TX and 115BW cabs. Also a full PA with 4HDH Mid/high boxes, 4 218 HDH subs, 6 wedges, 24ch console, 12 CS-800s, etc. While I wasn't thrilled with the sound quality of the PA or the tone of the bass rigs, not one piece of that equipment EVER failed or needed repairs under hard usage. I think that speaks volumes for Peavey reliability. I had sworn off Peavey bass gear, but their new stuff is actually pretty nice. I recently bought a 210TVX because (IMO) it blew away everything in the store except the Eden 210XLT (which cost twice as much). I tried GK, SWR, Ashdown, some weird looking Ampeg that had the speakers situated vertically, Eden 210T, Yorkville and Mesa. The Peavey outdid them all. it's tight, focused, punchy and handles a B-String very well.

14. Best day of my life, about 12 years ago, was when I finally ditched my Peavy TKO or TNT or whatever that piece of crap was. After a few years of soulless tone I finally picked up a tube head and I couldn't believe my bass could sound so much better.
    As for reliable, I have to shoot that one down too. I had to have my Black Widow 15" driver replaced after a year or so cuz it completely died.
    It's not just solid state vs. tubes, the Peavy sound is completely lifeless, I recently borrowed a friends new 800 W Peavy head (can't remember the name) at a show and completely lost all enthusiasm for the gig when I couldn't get a usable sound out of it.
    My $.02

15. Wow, I wonder how you'd respond to those that say tone is in the hands (?).

I can't imagine a rig so bad that you can't get a usable sound out of it. I've seen so many awesome local pros use rigs that gear snobs would call POS, and make them SING (Yamaha 100-watt combo, anyone?).

All the mid to high level Peavey gear I've played thru I've been very impressed with, and don't get me started on Cirrus basses.......

16. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Since you didn't ask for tone and portability I'd say go for Peavey :D

But tone is said to have improved with the newer models. I believe Peavey is really good gear for the money.

Matthias

17. I had a late '70s TNT 100 that was indestructible and heavy as a rock. It was very loud and sounded... Dead. Nothing special about the sound at all. I'm glad I eventually sold it.

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    you detractors have been playing but I sure like the sound that I get from my Kilobass head & MAX preamp. I would not describe either as lacking tone or lifeless at all! It's funny. Some of the same descriptions that have been provided in this thread would apply to a lot products from other manufacturers in my opinion. :rolleyes:

19. Mark,

Well of course tone is in the hands, mebbe I'm not using the right term. I've been spoiled by an early '70s SVT for the past several years and so trying to find some character (better term??) from that Peavey proved to be very frustrating.

umm.. I never mentioned Cirrus basses??
    If it matters I use a '73 Fender P.

Cheerz

20. Wounded,

Yes, I know you didn't mention Cirrus basses, but I plug them every opportunity I get. I'll bet you do love your SVT, who wouldn't? I'm sure a '73 P and and SVT is a match made in heaven.

I still say to those that haven't tried the newer, higher end Peavey gear....YOU'RE MISSING OUT! It's really top notch stuff. Heck, I had an Eden for a while, and I'd go with Peavey anyday over Eden.