Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Bass Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stephen S, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I was looking at a Peavey Bass combo 115 and the sales man at my local music shop saw my interest and came over and started chatting away abomut pricing and such. I asked to try the amp and I turned it up to about a 5 or 6 and hit the low B on the bass and the little green led light turned red. I own a Trace Elliot and I've always been told when youre led light goes red you maxing something out. Then he told me that Peavey amps have some technology that when they are overloaded or in danger of being blown they automatically shut off and I sensed some BS. So whats the truth?

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    What Peavey has on their amps is called DDT compression (Distortion Detection Technology, I believe). Anyway, what it does is clamp/limit the signal as soon as distortion is detected. If the light flickers red every now and then things are still fine. If it stays red, you need more power/headroom.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Thanks, so he fed me heif BS and Heif truth