Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey BASS FEX how to use it!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by top028, Mar 1, 2002.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I just picked up this crazy digi-preamp rack mount unit(for free). Its got some crazy synth tones, and the thing I like the most about it is the evelope filter. the previous two owners didnt really learn how to use it, and since I dont have the manual I was wondering if any one has this beast. there are a bunch of abreviations that I figured out, and ways to combine and chain different effects. I want to learn how every thing works...so I can do some good with it, and cut out the bad. I dont really like the sampling rate, it looks pretty old, so it is probably low. it kills the tone on my bassman.(heck, even boss analog pedals make a difference on the tone on my bassman) Maybe I will make a hard bypass, and just use it on occasion.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  3. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    thanks I got the site, downloaded the file, printed it out, and got sirspeedy to bind it. My first experience with the pre-amp was at work, playing through a JBL eon speaker. they sound bad to beginwith. After closer examination with my bassman, the sound was pretty good. I suppose I underestimated this tool...probably because it has the name PEAVEY stamped on it. if anyone can get this thing for cheep, I sugest doing so.

4. I used to own a Bassfex - I found it far too sterile & noisy. I did think the 4 band paramteric EQ was a good touch, but I hated the lack of a master volume (you have to bring up the global settings and turn it down that way and it rests back to 100 whenever you power off the unit :confused: )and it was far too easy to overload the input stage. The unit's pretty useless if used with a power amp without an easily accessible volume control

That said, you go far wrong if you get one for free.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I currently own a BassFex and I find it to be a very good product. That's especially true if you factor in the cost that you can get them for! ;) I'm not sure what you're asking about specifically but the Peavey name does seem to make some people think that a product can't be any good.

Read the manual. Also try to find a ProFex II MIDI Foot Controller and a Roland M-512E RAM card for it. If you can get all of those things you should have a pretty solid unit. I'm still learning about my unit and there's a lot of options.

I don't use mine as a preamp. I run it in the effects loop of my rig. It sounds pretty good to me. So good in fact that I decided to sell off the few pedals that I had purchased. These were some pretty good pedals and I'm not saying that the individual effects on the BassFex were better. I did feel that they are respectable enough for me to use for a while and the money from the sale of the pedals could be better used elsewhere for the time being.

The ProFex II controller will give you a lot more flexibility with programming the unit and the RAM card will allow you to set up a second bank of up to 128 user presets that you can store. It works very well for me and the Peavey name doesn't bother me at all. I do wish that I could have gotten mine for free but I've got less money in this unit than I had in the three pedals that I had acquired. The quality of my effects has not suffered dramatically either. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

6. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I like the delay, its fun to mess with. Where can you get a foot controller? I was reading the manual and the controler sounds really usefull. I love the part in the back about the sysex comands. Its so funny to imagine the average person would even read those pages. I was an electronic student, and we did programming on chips in assembly language... so its not so bad for me. I wish it had a higher bitrate, its 16 bit, same as CDs but I can still tell its not analog. I think overall, if the unit is mastered, it will be a great tool for the creative minded. I am still going to wire up a hard bypass box for it though... nothing beats passive-to-tube tone. IMO

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Finding the original equipment MIDI foot controller might prove to be a challenge. I scored one off eBay a few weeks ago and the price was a steal. I saw one that sold for more than double what I paid a few days later. That's probably one of the best options. Save you a search in your "My eBay" page.

You can use any MIDI foot controller but only the original equipment controller will give you all of the functionality. With any other controller you'll only have the option of changing presets. The original equipment foot controller is worth it though. You can even turn off certain effects within presets with it and all on the fly.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey top,

FYI, the convertors are 16-bit, the DSP is 24-bit.