Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey bass guitars ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sportsjen5, Nov 14, 2003.

1. sportsjen5

sportsjen5

Nov 14, 2003
    Hey everyone, I am new to this messageboard, actually I am new to bass guitars altogether. I am looking to buy a Peavey Millenium BXP4 or the Peavey Fury 4. Do you guys have any comments on either of these? What do you think?

*~Jen~*

2. Jen, welcome to TB. Nice to have you here.

I 'm sorry I have not had any experience with these basses but, I had to stop in and say welcome!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Jen-

I also welcome you to TB.

I have had the opportunity to play a few Peavey basses. Unfortunately, I haven't played the Fury, but I have gotten my hands on a Millenium a few times. I liked it overall. The only real con I saw was that it's a little on the "cheap" side, meaning lower-grade parts, but I have a friend that's had one for almost 6 years now, and it's still truckin' with original parts. So it stands the test of time apparently. Overall though, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    AlmightyBassnes submitted this:
    Your friend has a Millennium made in the USA; the new Millennium basses have the BXP suffix which means "made overseas". I'd like to try one myself.

5. Just buy a Cirrus.

Then give it to me.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have owned two Peavey basses, and still own one of them. I like them. They are nice.

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi Jen, welcome to the boards.

I've played the Millenium and I was pretty impressed. It would make a good starter bass. Plus, Peavey's customer service is absolutly FANTASTIC.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt Peavey make a bass starter pack too?

8. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i started off with a low end peavy when i started playing ten years ago, i think it may have been a fury, i think because i sucked then i relate suckiness with peavy, so i would say get a standard fender jazz bass instead of a low end peavy to get started,

9. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    IMO, Peavey is making one of the best entry level-novice "bang for your buck" bass guitars. I do not remember which bass, Fury or Millenium, was the better of the two. But, buy the best what you can afford. I think you will be happy with either one of them. Also, you can find a used Peavey Cirrus, Peavey's USA top-of-the-line flagship bass, here in the TB classifieds for around $600 USD.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Hi, welcome to the low end.

Peaveys are great, actually they suck. But as a new bassist, so do you (just for a little while). So it really doesn't matter.

I strongly suggest that you don't buy a bass, I suggest you rent one. That way, if you decide in a month that you don't like it, you can return it.

11. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

what are you basing your opinion on? I take it you have never played a Peavey Cirrus before?

Not everybody is as fortunate to have a Lakland-GK setup at the the ripe young age of 16, as you do. Many of us have had to buy our own gear and gradually buy/trade/sell our way to obatin the high end gear that we own. Dont say tha they suck, beacuse you proabbly dont know. Why, because you probally have never played one. FWIW, Peavey makes an excellent high end bass. Its called the Cirrus. The Fury and Millenium are great entry level basses as well.

12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have played the Fury 5 string. Very nice bass IMO. I would say the 4 string is probably just as nice.

Don't really know about the Millenium. The one I would avoid however, is the Grind neck thru. I've heard nothing but bad things about those here (it's the one made in Vietnam, not the USA version)

Welcome to talkbass BTW. Hope that helps! :)

Tim

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, this sucks, huh? Thanks for telling me. I would never have known, if you hadn't.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, I do like Laklands, but I will take my Cirrus over any Lakland, any day. And I have played them all, except for the hollowbody.

14. embellisher

Jen, Welcome to Talkbass.:cool:

The Fury is a decent, entry level bass. I have played a few, and they are nice for the price. I have not seen one of the new Millennium BXP basses in person yet.

15. snissors

snissors

Sep 19, 2003
    I'm a proud Peavey Cirrus owner. I've got nothing bad to say about the Cirrus. Nothing. It feels, plays, and sounds better than most bass guitars I've laid my hands on. Of course what one likes to feel, play, and hear is subjective, but when you play the Cirrus, whether it's your favorite or not, you know pretty quickly that it's a pretty darn good instrument!

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    First of all, I don't think that the Millennium was around 6 years ago. Secondly, if we were to assume that it was it would have been an American made version. I own two and I can honestly say that I don't find the parts on either of them to be lower-grade. Both came stock with Hipshot Ultra Lite tuning machines and the Hipshot Type A bridge.

17. I personally like the fury. It's a better beginner than the millenium or the cirrus. but that's just my opinion.

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You didn't say what your budget was Jen but if you have $400.00+ to spend on the bass only, I would go with the Fury. Never had the pleasure of trying or seeing that Millennium BXP but just based on the description, I can say that it's not even remotely close to being the same as the USA Millennium. I don't even know why Peavey even chose to use the Millennium name on that instrument. :confused: It sounds like it could be decent for it's price point though.

19. embellisher

DOH! I missed that post. Yeah, can't stand those cheapo Hipshot parts.:rolleyes:

20. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I couldn't agree more!!!!!!