Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey bass. made in USA or foreign made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Magneto, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Can anyone explain to me how to tell if a Peavey bass was made in the USA or not? I've seen several basses, some with the Peavey made in USA on the front of the headstock, and several others that say Peavey International series. I am thinking that the latter is foreign made. Am I right about this?

Thanks for your help..

Mag...

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

All I know is that my Peavey Fury is made in Korea.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, the International Series are made overseas. Mostly in Korea and Vietnam.

4. Thank you for the fast answer to my question. Will all USA made Peaveys say it on the headstock? Do you know that for a fact?

Thanks again..

Mag...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know if all USA made Peaveys will say that on the headstock.

But if you want to know about a particular model, ask here or on the Peavey forum. There are a lot of us around who know which basses were made where. And there are a couple of present or former Peavey employees who are members of Talkbass.

6. I dunno, my foundation says made in the usa. Which is something many companies like to brag about.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    "Made in USA" merely means that the majority (or a certain percentage) of the gross dollar value of materials, parts and labor are US. It gets very tricky, especially when there is a high differential in labor costs - this can result in almost all the actual human work being done overseas, finishing and assembling rough US CNT output with US materials and components, with the setup and inspection done in the US after importation. The instrument can still be "Made in USA" for labeling purposes.

8. This could indeed be correct, and thanks for reminding us. I've been tracking several Peavey basses at Ebay, and I have noticed that the made in USA basses do seem to say so on the headstock, usually right under the model name. Others read "international series" which (from my chair) means not made in the USA..

Also, Circus is right. Nowadays, companies do like to brag if their product is made in the USA.

Thanks for the help..

Mag...

9. it all depends on the bass... check harmony central and other avenues and do some homework before hand... i have a usa peavey millenium that has no usa markings... the only reason i know its a usa bass is because of the p & mm pickup config and the preamp

10. A couple of questions for you:

1. Does your bass read "International Series" on the front headstock?
    2. Did you use any other means to verify that your bass was indeed "made in the USA", such as referencing the serial number, etc..?
    3. It's not possible that your Millenium's electronics config could have been used in an overseas-made model? If not, could you share where you found this information?

Honestly, if the instrument appears to be well-made and there aren't any obvious quality issues, I wouldn't mind buying an overseas-made Peavey. However, the made-in-USA models sold for much more, which makes them more expensive when purchased used, such as on Ebay, etc..
    Note: Many of these included active electronics, where the newer (and cheaper) basses are passive.

I've seen a few ads for alleged made-in-USA models that have the International series logo on the headstock. This leaves a person wondering just what they are buying.

Thanks for your reply and the information...

Mag...

11. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    When Peavey's wife was still alive, Peavey was pretty much EXCLUSIVELY made in the US. In an old issue of BP, Hartley Peavey said that Peavey would never go off-shore production and slammed every manufacturer that did. Then again, Peavey wasn't allowing mail order for anybody (even dealers that had mainly retail stores weren't allowed according to their contracts to sell by mail). That's changed too.

12. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    That's the lure of "wanting everything cheap" and the lure of cheaper labor.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The USA Millenniums were the only instrument in the Millennium line that had the J/MM pickup configuration. The Millennium BXP has J pups and the soon to be released imported Millennium AC has soapbars. I currently own three American made Peavey instruments and I'm almost certain that neither of them has any made in the USA markings. I repeat, almost certain. ;)

EDIT: None of the have International Series on the headstock either.

14. EDIT: None of the have International Series on the headstock either. [/B][/QUOTE]

ebozzz, Thanks for sharing that information. You mentioned that none of your USA Peaveys had the International series logo on it. It seems to me that this logo would be the indicator that the instrument was foreign-made. What else could it mean?

There are so many different Peavey bass models floating around it makes my head spin. There are Furys that look like P-bass Milestones, there are Furys with one soapbar PU with active electronics. There are the newer quilt-top Furys that have 2 active PUs and look much like the USA Milleniums.

Oh well.. it's just good that a person can find a place such as this to ask questions and get honest, intelligent answers.. :)

Mag...

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Not a problem. :) One more note. When the two Millennium Plus instruments that I own were purchased, Peavey didn't have an imported Millennium. They were all made in the U.S. of A.

I'm in agreement with you on the confusion that Peavey creates with their method of marketing. To me they do entirely too much rehashing of names. Also, anything that has International Series on the headstock most likely comes from this division.

Peavey Europe

16. brigbybass

brigbybass

Sep 11, 2012
    Hello All,

I'm a new member seeking some advice and guidance here. Long story short I have a Peavey Cirrus 6 string that I'm looking to sell - I don't know much about the bass and the headstock doesn't specify any information other than "Peavey Cirrus". Any idea how I can find out if its American or foreign, if there's a specific model, etc? Does the serial number hold some of this information?

Thanks!

17. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    A pic of the bass would help for sure. There are several variations of the Cirrus, that I know of. Without a pic, it's hard to tell what you have!