1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey bass.....USA made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Jun 11, 2019.

1. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Hmm. I wonder if that would fit the bill for that 80's bass that @twofingers was looking for?

Did I do that mentioning thing correctly?

wintremute likes this.
  2. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Bass, case and stand? $150?

Sure thing.

tindrum, MCF and steelbed45 like this.
  3. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Get the right standard socket with a 99 cent store hex key (Allen wrench) that fits snug in the ratchet end add some duct tape and boom. I've made three of them for Gibson or Peavey.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I wouldn't. The refin kills any value except as a keeper.

If I really wanted one I'd wait and get a good original one for around the same price.

5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    The knobs and pickups are worth the price. It’s hard to find old Foundations with all the original knobs. They are really nice basses.

6. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Good luck with that. Beaters, at least here in Cali, go for around $200 to $250. Rarely with the original knobs. Many of the good ones are in the hands of hoarders these days or are owned by players who won’t part with them. You can find nice ones on Reverb, but by the time you add tax and shipping, the average price is around $400.00. More for really nice ones.

KJMO and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No luck needed. Just patience. Heck, I know where one much nicer than this was for sale at $199 before haggling. They're neither rare nor expensive around here.

I saw a bass with a questionable non-standard finish, stripped headstock logo (hopefully the serial number is elsewhere, otherwise... ), listed as being in fair condition. Yeah, sign me up.
    ;)

BTW just for grins I checked the GC website. Six Foundations, 1980's-2000's, in much better condition than this for $249 or less. And GC's shipping is usually very reasonsble.
    :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    sears, tindrum and ajkula66 like this.
  8. The knobs alone are worth $60-$75 these days. That makes it an early one - '83 to '85 or so. And it has a case? And it still has the truss rod cover? That refin has to go, though (unless you dig that color). All in all, a good project. At least jump on this and re-sell to someone in the USA Peavey club.

Just curious: What neck issues have you heard of? The only thing I've run into is that the bilaminate neck can start to split if the micro-tilt is tightened too far. But making a full-pocket shim can take care of that. Also, the early ones have deeply set truss nuts that can be hard to get to. But a $20 StewMac wrench gets the job done nicely.

MCF and Templar like this.
  9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    +1!

10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    +1!

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ok ok, you've twisted my arm. I replied and asked if it was still available. I'll update if I got it or not.

12. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    I have Dyna Bass,and ordered the 5/16" wrench,fits right in the truss rod slot, from vendor on Ebay,for $6 shipped.

Giffro likes this.
  13. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Not to nitpick, but you said you would wait for a nicer one for the same money, and 249 isn't the same as 150, nor is 199. Seems like you kind of moved the goalpost a little ;-) In other words, what you just posted is completely consistent with what MCF said (there is nothing that refutes him). No biggie though, because both of you made good points.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I fully expected a response like that...because I know that some people would look at a $50-$100 difference as a reason to lean towards what looks like a piece of crap as a reasonable choice vs. a bass in original condition. I don't.

These are likely the same people who are disappointed when they try to resell an instrument with no serial number and the pushback they get is that it appears stolen.

15. Just sayin... I've never checked for serial number nor had it checked for when buying or selling on cl.

Not sure why anyone would bother unless it's a very expensive item.

I do check for stolen instruments listings on the same model before buying. That it.

Don't stress about serial numbers.

16. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    No, I don't at all think any of those weird things, but the simple fact is that you said you would wait for one in better condition for the same money, then posted examples of several basses that cost more. That just doesn't make sense. It might make sense to spend the extra, but that's not what you said. No one should wait to find a nicer one for 150. Good ones cost more than that, and nice ones cost more again.

17. yeah, I would probably make the 6 1/2 hour round trip to buy that if I knew you hadn't already .......

18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I'm all over any foundation at $150 bucks. Not sure what your friend is talking about on the truss rods, I've got 5 foundations, and have probably owned closer to 10. I've chosen foundations over rics, Jazz's and stingrays for certain gigs.

They are a fantastic inexpensive bass. The paint... not a fan. But If I was at your location that bass would be in my hands right now.

BTW, foundations that used to sell used for $150 are going for $350 People are getting wise to how great a bass these things are. I know that I've more than doubled my money after just doing a setup.

I'd probably buy that bass just because it has the original lighning bolt knobs

tindrum likes this.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No reply as yet.

20. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Might be fun as-is or could be a good candidate for a strip and tung oil. The cast Peavey knobs are a really cool feature of these early basses.

The Serial numbers on these are embossed on the back of the headstock so you should have no problem finding out the year even if painted over.

tindrum likes this.