Peavey basses in 2021

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Apr 30, 2021.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hello fellow bassists growler571 here. Doesxanyonechappen to know what has happened to peavey basses? Currently I see the cirrus basses and all others are no longer listed on their website except for the milestone. It says new models coming soon for approximately a year now. Does anyone know if they are going to bring out the cirrus bass again or what new models they will be coming out with. I have always found Peavey basses a nice alternative to Fender and other brands as far Peaveys top of the line flagship basses go. I have always found them to be great modern basses. I had a 92 peavey foundation and gor a cheap 320 dollar bass back then. That bass was built like a tank abd pretty impressive for that amount of money. I thought it sounded Realy good for a cheap bass back then. I played higher end dyna basses and a couple peavey tl5 5 string basses and I was very impressed with them. Hell even Jason scheff was using them with Chicago for awhile when he first started out. I hope they bring back sum good high quality basses with maybe sum more modern looks than your typical vintage Fender look. But not too far out there. I liked the shape of the cirrus and jmillenium basses. Any thoughts, info on what peavey may be coming out with in the future ?

CallMeAl likes this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ve been wondering the same thing. Kinda sad, hope they come roaring back.

If you’re reading this Peavey- bring back the Fury!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  3. Last I read they were going to be making instruments in the Czech Republic. I’m sure COVID has delayed things.

Big Shrek, BrentSimons and smogg like this.
  4. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    YeacallmeAl. I Hope they bring back the cirrus, and the dyna basses with the pj combo would be nice. And sum new basses. I don't see the t40 coming back. That think was as heavy as a 75 Cadillac Fleetwood brougham.

tindrum, BrentSimons and SwitchGear like this.
  5. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    I would definately be ok with that. My Spector euro is made in the Czech Republic and it is very high quality. Peavey has a stigma it seems that they are kinda made for highschool band students or beginners starting out. But their top of the line stuff rocked in my book. Always wanted a Rudy sarzo or TL5 but they were way out of my price range back in the late 80s and early 90s. I was just a teen then.

BrentSimons and Gluvhand like this.
  6. I just recently got a Sarzo and regret that I waited as long as I did. It needed a bit of fret work and a new preamp, went with a Bartolini, but it was worth every cent. If the Czech made Peaveys are half as good, I'll be buying one.

7. The re-issue Peavey Cirrus are being built by the same factory, NBE. Corp.

The HP-2 guitar is already in production, with the Cirrus to follow.

8. That might be nice, but the HP-2 release keeps getting pushed back each month.

9. There's not enough interest to take it from pre-order stage into production.

Hardly surprising, who wants a $2.5k Euro Peavey when the same money gets you a Tim Litchfield 2018 NAMM model.
    There are 2 of the 24 he built on eBay right now, $2.5k or best offer.

Artman likes this.
  10. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Obviously the Indonesian-made cirruses didn't sell real well. I played one at a store and I was really impressed. It really had some nice touches as far as how it was constructed. People asked for new cirruses, but I don't think they were willing to put their money where their mouth was. Probably still case.

wmmj, smogg and Nuage420 like this.
  11. That ship has sailed . . . . . .

wmmj likes this.
  12. I very much liked the Axxelerator 5 and Forum Ax 5. Great pro level instruments. The G-Bass V too
    And the ... !

Big Shrek likes this.
  13. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Yesterdays thread about what happened to US Peavey basses had some great insights on past models, their acquisition of Composite Acoustics and problems catching on with the public. There were a couple of great videos including one with David Bromberg playing the B Quad bass that just sounded amazing! My favorite import Peavey is my Korean 2001 Fury IV which is a great compliment to my 87 USA Fury Pbass. I think the instrument line at Peavey is a day gone by at the moment sadly and hope someone may reinvent the line again over there.

Big Shrek likes this.
  14. Bit of a conundrum. I'm sure a few guys are curious, but waiting to hear feedback on build quality. Prior to closing their doors on the US plant, I would have forked it over without hesitation.

I honestly like the concept of the new HP guitars. I much prefer a floating trem, even though I'm aware the decked trem was EVH's preference and useful for the D Tuna.

wmmj and Rabidhamster like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Price points for high-quality foreign-made basses are competitive right now. It'll be hard for Peavey to make a splash with names like Sadowsky and Spector in the same pool. Market positioning is a stronger influence than most people admit.

Simply put, even though they may be made at the same factory, and every bit as good, fewer people will plunk down the same money to buy a Peavey over a Spector. Spector and others have better reputations among the masses.

kodiakblair, wmmj, steelbed45 and 2 others like this.
  16. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    After the shut down of the USA factories I wouldn’t be interested no matter how good they are. Especially not with the prices of USA built ones.

Id consider a Czech-built instrument, but not a Peavey.

wmmj and songwriter21 like this.
  17. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I recently purchased an Ibanez EHB that was made in Indonesia. Fit and finish are...acceptable for the price range, (a couple of uneven frets and the back of the neck had some rough spots.)

Still, if Ibanez had made this model in the US for years and I could buy a used version for less than new, that would be a no-brainer for me.

two fingers and wmmj like this.
  18. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

There's still plenty of good deals out there on USA made Peavey Cirrus, Millenniums, Dynas, TL5s and others...Ive bought way too many over the past year. There is a gorgeous TL-5 for sale here on TB right now

Big Shrek and AudioTaper like this.
  19. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    There you go, Plymouth Fury also known as Christine... 4DayIG.jpg :)

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    B-Mac, bobba66 and CallMeAl like this.
  20. So Ibanez had a US factory or shop. First time I am hearing this. Where is/was is?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021