peavey basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Aug 10, 2004.

1. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i've always been a fender guy...i LOVE me a fender especially jazz basses...and pretty much any classic basses...but recently i've noticed peavey bass amps and basses gettin really big...can someone tell me about the peavey basses and what all they hype is about...i might even consider one...been lookin for something new
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have both Fender and Peavey basses. I like both brands a lot. IMO Peavey makes good gear for the dollar. The necks are fast, they balance well, and the electronics are solid and decent sounding. The only complaint I really have with them is that they sell them with really crappy sounding strings which makes it harder to appreciate them when you try them out in the store. Hands down, the Cirrus is an exceptional bass. You can't go wrong with the new Fury Quilt Tops or the new Millennium AC's. I have both and they are good low-to-midrange basses.

Just go play a few and you will see what I mean.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The first bass I owned was a Peavey. I recently had a Cirrus 6 that I regret selling now. :(

Excellent bass!!

If I ever run across a good deal on another one (flame maple over alder) I just might have to snag it!!
  4. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have owned a Cirrus six that was awesome and I have a Cirrus 5 now that I love!
  5. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    ill definitely be checking some out...thanks a lot guys!...i've had my eyes on a cirrus 6
  6. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I recently purchased a Cirrus 4 (Maple/Alder) that I cannot put down.

My MIJ 75 RI Jazz and my 57 Reissue P-Bass have not been touched in a month. :crying:

Honestly, it does everything well and the neck is super fast and comfortable. Awesome look and finish on the bass.

No neck dive at all, I I don't even notice it is a 35" scale anymore.

Cuts like a knife in a live setting. Excels in a rock band.
  7. My Cirrus 5 is the best and most versatile bass I've ever played or owned. Boutique quality at a mid-range bass price. Can't beat that deal with a stick.
  8. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have a Cirrus 5 that is my backup bass. Great Bass
  9. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    As a follow up to the Cirrus. You can pick one up for $500-$600 dollars all day long. :hyper:
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yep, I have 3 basses and my Cirrus is my #1 player!
  11. :bassist:
  12. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    As I have seen, e.g. a new Peavy Cirrus 5 FL Bubinga runs at almost the same price as a MusicMan Stingray 4. Is about $1200 regarded as a "mid-range" price? :confused:

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unfortunately $1,000 - $1,500 seems to be the mid range of bass prices these days. Fortunately, most large scale producers like Fender, Music Man, G&L, Yamaha, Ibanez, etc. produce pro quality instruments in this price range. I argue that diminshing returns starts to kick in once you get past $1,500 because the improvements that instruments have above that level are often fairly minor and subtle.
  14. I generalize those #'s. Here's the scale that I think of when I look at prices.
    $100-300=Cheap(Ex-Fender Squire, Johnson)
    $300-1000=Decent but not great(Ex-Ibanez, Dean, Fender MIM)
    $1000-2000=good quality instrument(Ex-PV Cirrus, EB MM, Warwick, G&L, Fender American)
    $2000-3500=Boutique(High End, High Quality)(Ex-Modulus, MTD, Lakland)
    $3500=You've got too much money(Alembic, Ken Smith, Fodera)

I wish the last one was me. I would love to have a Fodera VW Monarch!!! :hyper: From the experience I've had with instruments, those are my generalizations. I have come across a few that were a super, great deal for the price. My SX Jazz, for example, cost me $140 shipped and it plays and sounds great.

Anybody else have any other opinions on those numbers?
  15. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Alot of the older peaveys to me like the t-40 and patriots soundsgreat. I played alot of older peaveys and none of them were crap regardles how cheap they were. Their pretty solid insturments if you can just get passed the name that turns off most people. The ive been wanting to try the exotic grind basses.
  16. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Ok, tanks for the explination. As I live in Sweden, I have big trouble getting used to prices in $'s. I know that a bass worth about $1200 have a 20 000 SEK price tag in Sweden (like the EB MM SR 4-class), which is a lot of money here!

I have also noted that Peavey's price tag for the fretless Cirrus 5 Bubinga is about $1900 and would be about 29 000 SEK in Sweden (vat and other taxes included). Fortunately the swedish Peavey agency dropped the price to about 15 000 SEK, hence my confusion about comparing prices in $'s and SEK's.

The expression 'Boutique' was somwhat new for me, but I'm thankful for the short thesaurus...

BTW: I really dig my Peavey Cirrus.

17. Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    I have a TL-Six which was Peavey's USA, handmade bass back in the early 90's. The thing rocks. Solid flame maple, neck through. It's amazing. I paid $750 used.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I've still got a PV Foundation that I bought in '87 & it is a really good sounding piece.

For low/mid priced instruments, they definely "cut the mustard"...

19. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I love my Peavey Foundation fretless. You can find a used with or without frets for under $300 and often under $200.