Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chance6245, Sep 25, 2000.

1. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    Let me hear from you. I have found the Peavey Bass line to be incredible. I have a Cirrus 5 and am about to purchase a new Millennium 4+. The sounds I get out of these rigs are so sweet. Does anybody else use these instruments?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My first bass was a Peavey T-40, back in 1983. Since then I've been down on Peavey products...I have tried a few and was pleasantly surprised, but don't know if I'll be able to buy another Peavey product again.
  3. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    I felt in love with the Peavey Cirrus 6 . Someone can tell give me some info (cost , sound , playability ) ?
    Thank you .
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can see where the T40 may have turned RAM off, but Peavey has come a long way in the 20+ years since THAT model.

I played a Cirrus 6 over the weekend, very cool 6(Alla, they go for about $1299 in Dallas, if you're a good negotiator ;) ) if I was looking for a 6, this one would be in the running.

I also played and got a serious case of GAS for a Millenium plus 5 string. As pretty as a Lakland, plays like one too. Doesn't quite sound like one, but sounds pretty good, and list is $2000 less than a comparable(quilted 55-94) Lakland.
  5. dennis

Sep 5, 2000
    I have a Cirrus Series 6-string and I think it kicks ass. Sounds good all the time, never had any problems with it. Most comfortable six string neck I've ever played on. I got it used for $1175 in perfect shape. It had only been out of the store for 2 months.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For the record, I can't say anything negative about Peavey's products. I will say that I had a bad experience many years ago and will be happy to concede that Peavey has come a long way since then.

However, I have my dream bass, and it's not a Peavey.

On the other hand, I still can't stand their amps!
  7. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I recently tried out a Cirrus 5 at the local music store and was suprised at the playability of this instrument. The quality appeared good and the sustain was adequate. I also liked the 35" scale.

Overall, I would give it an OK. Next time I may plug it in, which is always the last thing I do.

I would pick it over any Fender or Gibson based on what I have seen so far.
  8. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Thank you all for info .... but I'm italian and I live in Italy so it's hard to me coming in Dallas to negotiate (ehm..) . Someone knows about some site in internet where I can buy it or just see ?
    Thank you very much .
  9. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have slagged Peavey products mercilessly in these forums (due to past problems with a TKO bass amp and Patriot bass) but after a recent shopping trip I came home the proud owner of a redwood Cirrus fretless 5. I had originally chosen a maple Cirrus 6 but the neck was just too wide for my left hand. I tried a bunch of Fenders, Groove Tools, Godins, Yamaha TRB's and Ibanezes (including the BTB's) and I preferred the Cirrus. I also tried a gaggle of Modulus, Ken Smith, Spector, Zon and F-Basses, and while their fit and finish was a tiny little bit better than the Peavey, the $1300 Cirrus was every bit as good as those basses in the $2 to $3000 range. I tried 6 or 7 Cirrus basses-4, 5, 6's, fretted and fretless, different woods, and while they each had different personalities, they were all light and playable with punchy, versatile tones.
    A few weeks later I went looking around in stores again, just to make sure I made the right choice, and after playing dozens of basses, the only ones that impressed me as much as the Cirrus were the Reverend Rumblefish, a used G&L, and the Peavey Millenium which kicks booty in the standard and plus 4 and 5 string models.
  11. Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    To those who have played both, how does the Millenium Plus compare to a Cirrus? Last I saw they run for about the same cost.

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I like the Cirrus better. The woods really do it for me. I dont like the maple necks on those milleniums, But the sweep on the midboost is a definit plus. I wish I Had one on my Cirrus.
    I allso like the detuner on the four strings milleniams. All the milleniums Ive seen have really bowed neck. One Or two I and would call it a setup issue but I've seen 4-5 like like that.
    thats my $0.02.
  13. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Right on Winston.
    I have both a 6 string Cirrus in Redwood, and a 5 string Rumblefish. I love them both. I didn't know they made the Cirrus 5 in Redwood though. I checked out a lot of basses before I purchased these two and haven't been sorry with either.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Cirrus line IMO is a flat out bargain. I talked myself out of a 5 string fretless a couple of weeks ago, the first I'd considered since my Zon (no, I don't think it's's different:D) It was seriously fun to play.

The Millenium is a Peavey Lakland, and it's a good one, too. I've been impressed by them. The only problem is, for people who realize there is a resale market, Laklands can be had for ~$1400.

I owned a first year T-40 and for what it was, is was good. The phase switch, the dual action tone controls, solid (maybe too solid;) )construction and great playability all added up to what I still think was a nice bass with a stigma. Why did I get rid of mine?... I found the new and seriously unknown 78 Tobias twenty years ago. I kept it.
  16. My best friend also plays bass and for his birthday his parents got him a Peavey MilestoneII. He has gotten used to it, but I have to say it absolutely sucks. I havent played any other Peaveys besides his so I dont know what there higher end basses are like. Just thought I would share that with you.
  17. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I love my Cirrus V, and my Peavey amplifiers. It really doesn't matter that some people love to slam Peavey, I use what I like.

18. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i use a peavey amp, its pretty good, im satisfied, but i dont think id buy any of their basses
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah? I've had a hard time coming by a used one. Where can I find one?

I wish I was that lucky! My phase control lasted about a month or two! The repair shop didn't even know what it was supposed to do (and they called themselves a Peavey dealer???) so they turned the phase switch into an "on-off" switch. In addition, with respect to the bridge humbucker, only one of the two coils even works. Plus, the neck has been so badly warped that it's virtually impossible to correct!

But, most of you have had good experiences with Peavey products, and I'm jealous! But, in light of my own experience, I just can't bring myself to ever buy a Peavey product again. Don't let my experience affect your decisions though...
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    RAM, for starters, check out They're (Laklands)not on there all the time but they do pop up regularly along with lots of cool stuff. Check out for some very cool lesser known basses. The trick (which isn't a trick at all) is to check frequently and regularly. There are some great deals out there, like the Zon Legacy 6 for $1100 I found last year and didn't buy. There are also some great deals on eBay, especially for lesser known basses like Lawrences, Sukops and the like.