1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Oct 17, 2010.

1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I don't really know to much about Peavey Basses but find myself interested in one of the Millennium Series Basses. I know Peavey has been around for along time so they must be doing something right. Are Peavey basses considered low-end to middle-end basses? Do you who have them like them?

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I cant comment on the modern models but I own a 79 T-40 and I'm about 2 weeks from getting an 82 T-20. Their vintage stuff is a terrific value.
    Most of their older stuff was USA made and is a great bang for the buck.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    They range from lower end to higher end. Cirrus basses by Peavey being the latter. Overall Peavey basses are very good. Though the time I examined several of the Millennium basses the fretwork was a bit lower qaulity then most. More cases of feeling fret edge bumps along sides of fretboard then average. Their more expensive basses doing better in that regard.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    USA Millenniums are nice!

5. BXP = Low End

USA = High End

Vintage USA = The best deal on the planet

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It depends on what your definition of "low end" and "middle end" gear is.

To me, "low end" gear is 60's Japanese or Italian import junk, or Chinese-made Deans or Squiers. "Middle end" would be Ibanez Soundgear, Epiphone or Fender MIM imports, and "high end" would be US-made Fenders or Gibsons. Under those standards, Peavey never made "low end" gear. Peavey's "middle end" stuff would be the BXP imports. The vast majority of Peavey guitars would fall under "high end" stuff.

7. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Would you say the Peavey Millennium is a step above a Squier?

8. Depends on which Squier. Squier basses as a whole vary a lot. The Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series are every bit as good as the Mexican Fenders, however the cheaper Squiers can be a bit iffy on quality.

Import Peavey's are all right basses. The quality dropped quite a bit when they moved production overseas. If you can find a USA Peavey they're generally much better basses and pretty highly coveted here.

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    The modern Peavey Millennium BXP (import) is quite different from the discontinued US Peavey Millennium. Both are often available in the TB classifieds.

We might be able to guide you more, if you can narrow your search to a specific Squier model/country of origin, and which of the four Millennium BXP models intead of lumping all into one category.

WERMS.gif

Answering your question succinctly is like opening a can of worms and trying to scoop them up with a teaspoon.

10. I have a Squier VM Jazz and a Peavey Cirrus BXP. The Peavey is a much better bass. The Squier isn't bad, just the Peavey is a lot better.
    Also have a Peavey Fury (1993 P). It's definately "low end" even compared to the Squier.

11. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Sorry, I probably should have stated that from the beginning. I have a Affinity Series Squier. I believe was made in Indonesia. And I'm looking at the Millennium 4 BXP.

12. Staccato

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Your Affinity (Indonesia) is a close equivalent with the passive Millennium BXP. The AC Millennium BXP with the active preamp is more like a Squier Affinity on steroids.
    IMO, the quality of the Peavey BXP Indonesian models is equal, or better (than Affinity). My unknown origin (Korea or Indonesia) Millennium BXP 5 String has JJ pickups, transparent black finish, and is passive.

Demo a BXP, and see what you think. Hopefully they are available in Detroit.

13. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    So both basses are pretty much comparable to one another.

14. Staccato

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Low resale for Affinity or Millennium BXP. The BXP is a better value for my money-build quality and hardware!

15. I had a $200 peavey foundation (US made) kick an Fbass out of my stable. It played better, sounded better and I bought a car with the difference in price between the two. They are THAT good. The old US made peaveys are built as good as anything I have ever played.

lowsound

16. I love my 1984 Peavey Foundation. It has zero hip appeal, but it plays and sounds beautiful. Built solid as a rock, too.

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

It's always not the best to just compare a brand to a brand.

OVERALL, Peavey USA stuff is a good bet.

If you PM me, I can help you establish which exact model suits your taste... we then can discuss values etc.

I've played some Millenium BXP that were better than any Fender I own.. better than any squires I've played.

That being said, I'd save up just a few hundred more and get a USA bass... some of them are botique quality (yes I own botiques)..

When shopping for a USA just go for comfort.. the reality is that USA basses are notorious for being dorked up by a young owner - most basses benefit the most by a set of quality strings and knowledgeable setup.

----

When posting an opinion ad, please note your preferences, budget and location.

Otherwise you'll have TB nuts pining on about how they enjoy some gear that's not in your taste/budget spectrum.

18. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    All you people wrote and said that the USA Peaveys are good basses. I don't think they're making them in the US anymore. Probably haven't for some time now. Are the current basses up to par?

19. :confused:

20. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    They're still making Cirruses in the US. And, more importantly, it's not hard at all to find US-made Peaveys. Even New Old Stock. There's a New (Old Stock) US Millennium on eBay right now.

Regardless, unless you're ordering something custom that you just have to have and have it be EXACTLY a certain way, you're crazy to buy new anyway. A little patience and half the price of new will get you just about any bass you want, in any color and fretboard combo. Especially when you're talking about used, US Peaveys.