Peavey Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turlu, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi guys,

Anyone of you had the chance to try the new Peavey`s Series like Millestone, Fury, etc. ?

I just came back from the Music Store and I have never thought Peavey could make such good Basses with narrow neck, very good and deep sound for most of the styles.

What an improvement!!!!
  2. I played a lined fretless Foundation 2000.. one of the better sub $1000 basses I've played. I liked it.
  3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I own a Milestone III - it's a pretty damned good bass if I say so myself :)
  4. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    I have played the Milestone, Fury and Foundation 2000. You are correct about the improvement in quality. This line of basses are the best kept secret.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Just look at the Cirrus, Millennium and Millenium Plus. Or the G Bass.

Quality has never been as poor as many claim(IMHO) but it IS in the way up.
  6. I'm thinking about buying a Milestone III as a second bass now i can play good. Is it a reasonable instrument - or will i hate it once i can finally play the entire Chillis catalogue ??!!

I got a good price on it that wasn't too different to my existing ****ty encore bass, so i was wondering whether it were a bargain or a pile of crap ??

Anyone got one wanna comment ?
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Compared to when?

I don't understand why people think that Peavey basses sucked until yesterday morning and suddenly became good. Peavey has been making good basses for at least 15 years, with the Dyna bass, the Palaedium (Jeff Berlin's original signature bass) and the B-Quad 4. It's just a matter of going out and trying them.

It's good to see that Peavey's bass reputation is turning around, though. They'll have to win one customer at a time, I guess.

Will C.:cool:
  8. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone played a peavey B-Quad? I have and it rocked!
    But i bought a stingray 5 Anyway :)
  9. I really like Peavey basses for the price; a Foundation is a much better buy than a Mexi Fender Jazz. I also like the G-V, although I think a used Modulus Quantum 5 or Zon Sonus 5 would be a better way to spend $1400 (this includes case and tax, of course).

Their guitars are terrible, though; a Wolfgang is an absolute piece of crap compared to a Music Man Axis, which costs just about the same, is built better, and will have a much higher resale value. However, I'm not a guitarist, so I don't care about that.

The thing I really don't like about Peavey is their price restrictions; if Peavey wants everything they sell to have a uniform price, from coast to coast, they should sell direct. I know Hartley likes to treat his dealers well, but price-fixing is really shady.
  10. Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    I don't know where people hear this, but this has been corrected atleast once on this board.

In another thread, rcrimm (a Peavey employee, I assume) said:

I hope this clears up the confusion.
  11. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Hey, I got a used Peavey Foundation for 150 bucks last summer from a local music store. I love it, I play it at alot of our gigs. The geniuses at the store acted like it was crap and just wanted to get rid of it. Fine, I'd buy another one in a second for that price. Peavey's are really excellent basses and I'm kind of tired of people pooping on them all the time. But then again, if you don't want them I'll be glad to take them off your hands!
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey BW, don't forget about the TL5 and the TL6.
  13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    I didn't, M-bel.

I just didn't want to type the name all over again. Every three months, I have to type about how Peaveys have been good for longer time than most younger players have been alive. It just wasn't worth my while. Good point, though.

14. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hey guys,

I just want to make one point clear.

I did not want to say that Peavey Basses sucked up to recently. They always produced very goos basses that were not well known by Bassists.

I just wanted to say that Peavey is noe seen as a Brand name of reference when you talk about Basses with their new models they just released.

They are certainly among the leaders in my opinion.

15. Thetes

Oct 29, 2000
    I own the ForumAxe, and have used it for recording for years. It is flawless and has a wide tonal palette. Well worth the dollars! It is ALWAYS in tune.
  16. MarkM

Feb 25, 2000
    To touch on the touchy subject of Peavey's distributors again. I don't see any price fixing. I have passed up a Cirrus for about 50% of the retail price. (I still have my own boot print on my fanny for that!) And have seen some other deals on not just older models but 'sales' on current lines.

They are just picky about who can sell their instruments. I am lucky to have a Peavey dealer in my area. I have a good friend that is a VP for that line of stores and I know how difficult it is to get the Peavey line. They guard their reputation by weeding out dealers.

There is only one chain of stores in Austin (Texas) that has the Peavey line. This is a town that thrives on guitars and the music industry. You would think that the market would be open enough to support more dealers there.

I was leary when I bought my first Peavey bass and was getting away from the Fender line. I admit I bought the Peavey for price. But I have not regretted it at all. I have noticed things about Fenders (and other brands also) that I never would have noticed before.

They make a good quality product. And offer good support on their website. ( They have an interactive forum there also. Just don't go there and ask a question about Ibanez or something that bashes Peavey!! :)

17. I just want to agree with most of the people here! I got a Milestone II w/ hardshell case for less that $200 brand new! And it blows alot of the MIM Fenders and Squires away (but put on some good strings like DR's). Like Thetes said, mine too is always in tune! And I play the crap out of it. As a matter of fact, I took it to the studio once and the engineer was surprised at how good it sounded. I didn't use it to record, but I could have (I used the studio's '72 Vintage Fender P-Bass). Anyway, big thumbs up for price and value on the Peavey basses.
  18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I picked up one of the Pallaedium basses designed by Jeff Berlin recently for $240, with a hardshell case. It has an ebony fretboard, graphite support rods in the neck, gold hardware (including a Badass II bridge), and custom wound pickups. It is one of the most amazing basses I have played. Sounds like a souped up jazz bass with the fastest neck I have played in a long, long time. I am glad that Mars didn't know what they had.
  19. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    They did. The vast majority of Mars customers didn't know what they could have (and you got) :rolleyes:

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You're probably right. But, they did have the bass marked at $349.99, and I offered him $260, including tax, and he took it. The person selling it to them must've taken a bath on it. Getting this bass for that cheap kinda set me at peace with a bad gear decision I made years ago...