1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Black Widow 1501 DT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I just bought a Crate 1x15 bass cab. The seller said that it had a JBL 300 watt 8 ohm speaker. I found the info for the cab on line and it mirrored what he said. In a big rush at a convenience store in the dark, I looked it over and it indeed appeared to be a JBL. A quick demo showed that it worked and sounded OK under the circumstances. So the deal was made and off I go on my 45 minute drive home. Just opened it up and found that the JBL was actually a newer generation Peavey Black Widow 1501 DT 4 ohm speaker. Those have near identical dust covers as the JBL, so with only a flashlight, I didn't pay much attention past that. Black Widows are great speakers, but not a JBL and not 8 ohms like I was wanting. Plus, the 1501 is more for guitar and steel guitar, not necessarily for bass. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to give it a workout, but at the moment, I'm pretty irritated. :(

Anyone got experience with a 1501? Please share if you do.

2. Any chance you can contact the seller about this?
    It sounds like a craigslist type of exchange, but maybe you'll get the 1 in a 1000 who has a conscience.
    Perhaps you could research the value difference between the two drivers and use that as a negotiation point.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I have his name and phone number. I'll probably give that a shot. Thanks.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Since you wanted an 8ohm, can you even use it?

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    That's an even bigger issue. I have another 8 ohm cab that I was going to ad this to and use a 4 ohm head to drive them both. That's not possible now.

6. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Yeah, I'd say you've been misled. Try and return it. Pretty shady on the part of the seller.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i agree that you could/should try and square the 'misunderstanding' about the speaker. is it possible that the seller had the best of intentions but that he is 'ignorant' and just passed along faulty thinking without knowing any better?

i have two 8 ohm 1501's and i have used them as 'all purpose' drivers: for bass --- either as primary or in extension cabs, as low mids or mid bass in PA configurations, monitors, etc. they are pretty decent 'all arounds' and therefore versatile. it is only the fact that you didn't get the proper impedance for your application that would be the most troublesome. having said that: a 1501 isn't going to get you the same thing some JBL's are known for. by the same token, most JBL 15's would set you back in terms of cost, so unless you 'steal' them they may not be worth it to you.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I gig one all the time... great speakers... tons of power available.

IF you want 8 ohms... you can swap the basket... (easy to do)...

Not the end of the world...

Oren Hudson likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    IMO, the 1501DT is probably closer to the D-140 sound than the bass specific 1502, and the power handling is at least as good as the D-140, probably (a lot) better.

The bigger issue IMO is the 4 ohm nominal impedance, unless you were planning on using it as a stand alone cabinet. If so, pay attention to the practical limits of between 300 and 400 watts RMS

rok51, Passinwind and Oren Hudson like this.
  10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I spoke to the seller today and told him about the issues. He was totally unaware and offered to buy it back. So a stand up seller for sure. After reading some of the usage comments and spending about half an hour "standing" on the cab, I'm leaning towards keeping it and going in that direction.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread. :)

I'll post pics soon.

deathness, Passinwind and agedhorse like this.