1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Black Widow Driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Disk3473, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Disk3473

Disk3473

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi New Here

Hope this is in the right section

I have had some black widow drivers in the post

The problem is hard to explain but here goes

The cones seem to be extended out as standard

There is no movement for them to come out further on bass notes but they will push into the magnet quite alot

Were as i know they should be in the magnet and extend out with bass notes but thats not the case with these

The cone is rasied out of the basket

Is this somthing than can be fixed as there is no coil rub at all but seems the flexible ribbon is pulling to cone up instead of keeping it pushed into the magnet

Hope the above makes sence

2. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
  3. Disk3473

Disk3473

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi there

Cheers for that i do have a few baskets here as i deal in peavey dj speakers but i have never seen this type of failure of a cone

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd be checking if your amp has some DC on the outputs. That will extend the cone one direction or another and hold it there. Enough of it will burn the voice coil.

Could hook it up to a different amp and see if it does the same thing, if it isn't blown yet.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Are the drivers exhibiting the same symptoms when the cabinet is not connected??? Will you measure the DC voltage across the speaker cable with it just connected to the amp. It should be pretty much zero volts.

6. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Yeah no idea on why it would seem the former and coil are pushed out of the magnet, but still can be pushed back.

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If the cone seems to be biased one way or the other, you may have a defective basket. Is this a replacement basket? Did it come out of a cabinet that way? If so, which cab?