1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Black Widow Replacement Basket Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knappymer, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hey all.

So I have these older (maybe 80's) 15" Peavey Black Widow speakers... 1502-8's i believe. they are starting to break up and get all flabby. So I wanted to know if there is any problem with replacing the baskets with a set of new 1502-8's or even 1505-8's? I like the 1505-8's because of the longer X-Max, 5mm versus 2.9 mm of the 1502-8's. They will be going in a Peavey 215 Enclosure, the taller thinner of the 215's Peavey had, Not the 215 D which was the big ass fridge. I have one of those too with a set of scorpions in it (got it that way, not sure if I will keep them in there or not).

I mean, a magnet is a magnet pretty much forever right? Does anyone know if they have larger (or just different) magnets on them nowadays?

A lot of people have said to go with the Eminence Cb-158's but if I can save a few bucks by just getting new baskets I will.

As always any advice or consideration is appreciated. :bassist:

-Marc

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to going to 1505's. I like mine, much better bass speaker than the 1502. Unless you want grind all the time.

But, check with Peavey CS first. There were at least 3 different generations of Black Widow that had variations in the magnet structure. Some new baskets won't fit the old model Widows. So make sure you get the straight dope on yours from Peavey before just ordering some only to realize they won't fit your particular magnet. The 1505's are nice speakers if you can get them.

3. +2

But Not the 1505 KA DT.
    Haha, beat you to it Will :smug:

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If your magnet looks like this you're in good shape to order new baskets. If it looks different, you may be out of luck.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Mine are I think the 2nd generation ones with the bunped out backplate like that and the foam over the screen. 3 bolts. But the vent hole on the one in that pic looks bigger than mine.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    :D

7. Thank you guys so much!

The 1505's I was thinking of were the 1505-8 DT BW ones. What's the deal with the KA ones?

My magnets look like the one in the pic but I don't think they are vented. Definitely have the three bolts like all the others, but I'll have to take them out again to see if the vent is there. So, I guess that may mean I have the first gen ones then? No go if no vent?

Again, thanks guys for helping me out.

8. Call peavey on the phone first

9. Sorry it has been a while. Life gets crazy.

I emailed peavey tech support and they got back to me very quickly. I really appreciated the info I got from them. Apparently I have the second gen BWs and I can used them with any BW rated replacement baskets (they stressed on not using the 700watt ones). So I think as soon as money permits I'll be dropping an order on a set of 1505's.

Thank you all for your info. Rock on.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, Peavey is great about supporting their stuff...

- georgestrings

11. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    mine are KADT's

dammit.

12. What is the deal withe the KA series?! Still in the dark on this one.

13. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    searched...

from will33:
    "...If yours has the suffix "KADT", sell it and get a regular DT, without the KA. The KA's are geared more toward midbass/midrange PA duty to be used in conjunction with a subwoofer. They have incredibly short xmax and don't do well at all with bass, without the help of a sub carrying the bottom octave. The newer 1508's look to be a decent driver as well."